Cape Cod... too dangerous or okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks-

My mom lives on Cape Cod (Dennis) and of course, she'd like me to visit more often.

I know there's diving on the North Shore and so on, but is there any diving actually ON the Cape? In other words, after the bridge?

Of course, everyone's talking about the GW's in the area because of all the seals. BUT WHO DOESN'T LOVE SEALS? I mean, I'd love to swim with seals. And if not that, at least grab some mussels or lobsters for dinner (I know, I need a permit).

And if the sharks don't get me, I'll be damned if I have't seen the most irresponsible "recreational lobster boaters" out there. It's like the wild west out there. (At least on the bay side)

Whaddaya think?

Last edited:
I grew up diving Long Island Sound and RI and fishing off of Montauk and the south shore of LI. You could not pay me to dive the Cape in any area where there are seals as the GWs are not far behind. But hey, that is just me.

Sadly a GW fatality on the Cape is just a matter of when, not if.

Hathaways pond is your best bet in the cape. It's not the ocean but it's always open and usually has some sort of diving going on in season. While I'm not super experienced with diving in that area what I have done has been south of the cape and on a boat. I'm not even sure what shops are left on the cape to support diving.

A friend of mine used to dive Town neck beach in Sandwich. Its on the Cape Cod Bay side. He always said it was a good site. I also agree with Hathaways Pond, fresh water but plenty to see.

A dive buddy dove the town neck beach a few weeks ago he didn't see any GW's. I figure as long as the GWs are eating seals we're safe. Even if all the seals take off all of a sudden the shark will/should just chase the seals. I hear we don't have enough fat to justify even being called a snack.

A dive buddy dove the town neck beach a few weeks ago he didn't see any GW's. I figure as long as the GWs are eating seals we're safe. Even if all the seals take off all of a sudden the shark will/should just chase the seals. I hear we don't have enough fat to justify even being called a snack.
Famous last words.... Afterdark, you would be the slowest seal the water. Sometimes just a taste is all it takes...

The cap is almost entirely sand. With the exception of the occasional wreck, I don’t imagine much to see. I have heard there are some shark charter dives to do.

Does anyone know of good shore diving in Buzzards Bay?

Famous last words.... Afterdark, you would be the slowest seal the water. Sometimes just a taste is all it takes...

The cap is almost entirely sand. With the exception of the occasional wreck, I don’t imagine much to see. I have heard there are some shark charter dives to do.

Does anyone know of good shore diving in Buzzards Bay?

We'll have to ask Erik he evidently went back a second time.

Yes, I do Rich I dove Buzzards Bay many times, from Westport Ma, Gooseberry Point is always a good dive. Hens and Chickens Reef is not far off shore from the point. Kinda shallow 20-30FSW but I remember spearing lot of tog there. Visibility can vary just like RI. BB is best dived from a boat however. Famous last words are usually :Oh SH!T

Back
Top Bottom