Cape May, NJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpyderTek

Reaction score
Just spent last weekend at Cape May, NJ. Found out there isnt a dive shop or dive charter boat anywhere within 35 miles. Is this information accurate?

If it is, seems to me that this would be an ideal NE location to open one or both. Beautiful beach entry dives here not to mention possibility of chartered whale and dolphin dives. (They have at least 2 if not 3 boats for charter there that garuntee marine mammal sightings already (went on one and was not dissapointed)).

What about tourism diving charters? Simular to going to Club Med uncertified and they offer you a few hours pool time then take you and a group down for some underwater tourism / site seeing. (Still trying to figure out how they swing that one and why it isnt offered anywhere else besides the tropical resorts.)

Anyone ever dove off of Cape May before?

Spydertek

I haven't done any diving in Cape May but spent a few weeks every summer on the Point while growing up. My parents sold their home there a couple years ago. :(

Always thought it would be interesting to dive the remains of the concrete ship (off Sunset Beach. Not sure how safe it would be, though. The remains of the bunkers may be interesting.

Good luck whatever you decide. It's a beautiful part of the country.

Paula

There was a guy that ran a dive charter out of Cape May a few years ago, I went with him a few times around 97 & 98, but haven't been with him since. I want to say his name was 'Captain Bob', or something like that, but can't recall for sure, he sold us t-shirts of which I have since lost unfortunately. (it was a cool shirt too dammit!)

His boat was docked in one of the main marinas there. Try a search on the web.

When I was talking to my dad on the phone today I asked him if there were any dive shops in Cape May. (He's a diver and lived there through 2001.) He said there were not any dive shops in the recent past. But he does remember non-local clubs &/or dive shops putting charters together. Perhaps on one of the fishing charter boats.

Paula

If I remember correctly, "Bob' may have run fishing charters in addition to dive charters...

Hi Tek. You would be correct re: no local/close shops. To the best of my knowledge, the closest is East Coast Dive, Rte 9, Pleasantville, just outside Atlantic City. As for charters, last year my LDS ran 2 trips out of Cape May, none this year, there is one out of Sea Isle City, I'm drawing a blank on the name at the moment, it will, on some trips run down the coast for the wrecks just off the Cape. Jed is correct, most of the boats run both dive & fishing charters - have to pay the bills somehow. I know a few folks in CM who dive from their own or friends boats - one is an endontist (sp) running his 40-something Ocean out, diving solo, on some strange home-brew gas mixes. I wouldn't get on a boat with him.

As for the lack of the resort trade, I can venture a few guesses - seasonal business (at most 16 weeks), probability of being blown out (further reducing those 16 weeks), liability costs, the perception there is 'nothing to see', less then favorable conditions - low viz, cold, subject to currents & surge. Probably not the conditions to introduce people to the sport.

Hi Paula - I've oftern thought about diving the concrete ship remains as well, there should be some good life around it, an easy beach swim, putting it on my list! As for the bunkers, depending on the storms, they are either on the beach or right at the edge of the surf. Last time I was there they were fairly well roped off, I think they are detoriorating rapidly. I remember going down in the 1980's & climbing all over them.

Tek - were you vacationing, down for the weekend or day tripping? I was in Cape May myself Sunday with the family walkin & shoppin. The dolphin/whale charters have really taken off, the Delaware Bay is a prime summering over/breeding spot for a ton of sealife - whales, dolphins, turtles, rays/skates, & one of the favored east coast breeding grounds for sharks, we even have a manatee who treks up from Fl once the water warms up. He's been commuting for years.

If anyone is in the South Jersey area, drop me a line, there is always room at the table & a few cold ones in the fridge!

Jersey once bubbled...
Hi Tek. You would be correct re: no local/close shops. To the best of my knowledge, the closest is East Coast Dive, Rte 9, Pleasantville, just outside Atlantic City. As for charters, last year my LDS ran 2 trips out of Cape May, none this year, there is one out of Sea Isle City, I'm drawing a blank on the name at the moment, it will, on some trips run down the coast for the wrecks just off the Cape. Jed is correct, most of the boats run both dive & fishing charters - have to pay the bills somehow. I know a few folks in CM who dive from their own or friends boats - one is an endontist (sp) running his 40-something Ocean out, diving solo, on some strange home-brew gas mixes. I wouldn't get on a boat with him.

As for the lack of the resort trade, I can venture a few guesses - seasonal business (at most 16 weeks), probability of being blown out (further reducing those 16 weeks), liability costs, the perception there is 'nothing to see', less then favorable conditions - low viz, cold, subject to currents & surge. Probably not the conditions to introduce people to the sport.

Hi Paula - I've oftern thought about diving the concrete ship remains as well, there should be some good life around it, an easy beach swim, putting it on my list! As for the bunkers, depending on the storms, they are either on the beach or right at the edge of the surf. Last time I was there they were fairly well roped off, I think they are detoriorating rapidly. I remember going down in the 1980's & climbing all over them.

Tek - were you vacationing, down for the weekend or day tripping? I was in Cape May myself Sunday with the family walkin & shoppin. The dolphin/whale charters have really taken off, the Delaware Bay is a prime summering over/breeding spot for a ton of sealife - whales, dolphins, turtles, rays/skates, & one of the favored east coast breeding grounds for sharks, we even have a manatee who treks up from Fl once the water warms up. He's been commuting for years.

If anyone is in the South Jersey area, drop me a line, there is always room at the table & a few cold ones in the fridge!

Jersey:

There is a shore dive in your area I was told about one time that offered the remnants of 1920's ere Speak-Easy establishment. Ever been, or know what it is?

Hi Jed. Never dove, never heard word about anything remotely resembling what you describe. When you say 'Speakeasy', I'm think 1920's building on land. I could be off base - it could have been a floating party barge or party boat.

I do know that Avalon used to be several blocks longer then it is now - it is possible something that used to be on 1-6th Streets was washed out. I believe a storm in the 30's wiped out part of the inlet. I am a member of the Avalon Hysterical (Historical) Society & could stop in to talk to some of the old timers. Do you have any more info - what town, approximate year, storm cause the damage?

I've tried to stay current with most of the wreck books covering the area, not that there aren't plenty of others out there, but never saw anything like this. Now you've got me interested!

Jersey

A few years ago a wreck dive of ours was blown out from Cape May, and the DM on the boat said if we were itching for a dive, he mentioned this 'spot' north of the area a little ways (it may have been closer to AC, it's been a few years) that we could pick up from a shore dive. It was in an inlet, and the remains were of some kind of Speak-Easy establishment, whether a party boat, or a building that went down in a storm, can't exactly recall. But he gave us the exact directions at the time, and that occasionally divers would find old booze bottles and such. That much I do remember. We never went because my dive buddy at the time wasn't interested....

If you find any more detailed info from the locals, let me know and I'll meet you there for a dive. Always up for doing someting different.

Hi- I wanted to let everyone know that next season (2004) I will be running dive charters out of Cape May, NJ. My new boat(40' Viking) will be ready early spring, until then I can not legally charter dives on my current boat (31' Silverton). If you need some info. about diving in that area I could point you in the right direction. Please contact me via e-mail captstaab@snip.net

Back
Top Bottom