Cape May, NJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptStaab once bubbled...
Hi- I wanted to let everyone know that next season (2004) I will be running dive charters out of Cape May, NJ. My new boat(40' Viking) will be ready early spring, until then I can not legally charter dives on my current boat (31' Silverton). If you need some info. about diving in that area I could point you in the right direction. Please contact me via e-mail captstaab@snip.net

That's cool. I turned down a trip to Wildwood this year because I couldn't find any charters in the nearby area. What kind of range will your boat have?? I have a few specific targets in mind that are about 200 nm roundtrip. Thanks.

200nm is not a problem. I don't know exactly yet, But 200 should be a safe number.It holds 350 gallons of diesel.
I'm glad I found this site. I was wondering how much interest the cape may area had for divers. A friend of mine, who is a diver, suggested the idea of running charters. I've received a few e-mails also. so I guess there is some interest. Do you know the name of the sites that you were interested in diving?

CaptStaab once bubbled...
200nm is not a problem. I don't know exactly yet, But 200 should be a safe number.It holds 350 gallons of diesel.
I'm glad I found this site. I was wondering how much interest the cape may area had for divers. A friend of mine, who is a diver, suggested the idea of running charters. I've received a few e-mails also. so I guess there is some interest. Do you know the name of the sites that you were interested in diving?

I think the S-5 and the City of Athens might be in range. Are you familiar w/ these?

This sounds like it could be a good thing. I would be up for chartering. As for sites, anything works for me. Which Marina are you in? I have a few non-diving friends (sorry - Ocean owners, everyone!) over in the Canyon Club, am there frequently. Grew up in Utsch's oiling the teak on my grandparents old Owens...

Can you get together pricing, availability, etc? PM is you are not comfortable posting. I will talk to some other friends as well. We all spend the summer in Avalon, so Cape May is very convenient.

Thanks!
Jersey

diverjed once bubbled...
A few years ago a wreck dive of ours was blown out from Cape May, and the DM on the boat said if we were itching for a dive, he mentioned this 'spot' north of the area a little ways (it may have been closer to AC, it's been a few years) that we could pick up from a shore dive. It was in an inlet, and the remains were of some kind of Speak-Easy establishment, whether a party boat, or a building that went down in a storm, can't exactly recall. But he gave us the exact directions at the time, and that occasionally divers would find old booze bottles and such. That much I do remember. We never went because my dive buddy at the time wasn't interested....

If you find any more detailed info from the locals, let me know and I'll meet you there for a dive. Always up for doing someting different.

I prefer to dive up here in Central Jersey, but for the last 3 years, one of the dive boats, Dina Dee II, up here in Pt. Pleasant has taken his boat down to Cape May for two weekends. Its nice to dive somewhere locally yet only have to drive an hour or two. Not to mention dive some "new" wrecks. Nice to see something different once in a while.

Getting back to that site you asked about? I'm pretty sure you are referring to the Deauville Inn up in Strathmere, NJ. Its just off exit 17 on the Garden State Parkway. You can get more information on the site by looking in Dan Berg's New Jersey Beach Diver.

I know of one "local" boat that does diving charters out of Cape May. I believe the boat is the "Black Night"

Hi deepstops-
sorry I did'nt respond quickly. I was on vacation last week. I know the city of athens( been there fishing many times), but not the S-5. I will research that site.

Jersey,
I am at Utschs Marina. I pretty much grew up there as well. As soon as I get my Coast Guard vessel certification, and proper dive insurance I will post rates as well as open dates.
Your grand parents had an old owens huh, My dad had a old chris craft at utschs. I've been there ever since.

talk to you both later
Capt.Staab

I checked out that site. It looks like the S-5 is about 45 miles from Cape May. Thats not a problem. I wonder if anything is left in the sub? I guess there is one way to find out, huh. see ya

For those of you interested, East Coast Diving, Northfield NJ (http://www.eastcoastdiving.com) runs numerous charters on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays-covering areas from Long Beach Island to Cape May. We have a boat leaving from Sea Isle City, just 15 minutes north of Cape May, and dive numerous wrecks off of the Cape May area

For the person interested in the "Speak Easy" beach dive, the reference is probably to the "Deauville Inn" located bayside in Strathmere (Upper Township)- just north of Sea Isle City- the Inn has historical signifigance (http://www.deauvilleinn.com)- and was rumored to be an illegal distributor of alcoholoic beverages during prohibition- numerous bottles in sand behind the Inn- this dive is better done in late fall (when boating traffic is lighter) and at slack high tide. Incoming and outgoing tides are severe in this area, so caution when diving

Enjoy

Rescuediver: Thanks for the info. Do you work for East Coast? I think one of my friends does some DM on the Ursula for EC once in a while.... The Deauville dive sounds interesting - what is the dive exactly? From your post it sounds like bayside, off the current beach behind the Inn? I've seen their website, couldn't find anything about diving there.

Very familiar with the inlet there - according to my charts - non-navigable! Lots of fun to take my waverunner through in a running tide, though.

Capt Staab - how's the fishing been? I heard not too good - the big tournaments were not bringing in anything of size? Good luck with the USCG cert & insurance & let us know. What are you doing with the 31' Silverton?

Jersey

Back
Top Bottom