Cape San Blas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Lori

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to be kayaking Cape San Blas in April 2012.

Is it worthwhile to bring my dive gear, or just my snorkeling stuff? The St Joseph SP website says snorkeling, but no mention of diving.

Any and all comments appreciated in advance!

Lori

There's a couple divesites close enough to kayak to if you don't mind a bit of a paddle. Shark hole, and a wreck or two IIRC.

Nothing worth bringing dive gear right off the beaches.

I like the cape sand blas area :) Pretty! Loved camping at the state park there as a boy scout.

That's the plan with the kayak club, camp and kayak at St Joe's. Debating on bringing my cave gear too and making a swing by JB before heading home. I'll have a recreational dive/kayak buddy with me, but I 'spose we could do a dive at Vortex to make her happy. She can sit in the shelter at JB while I dive. :crafty:

Love the place, but like others have said - without a boat / kayak dont think your going to see much. Shore diving from the state park just lots of sand, and the bay side once or twice its just not deep enough to really drag the extra gear out since you can see pretty much all of it with a snokel. Snorkeling the bay middle of June did not really see anything at all, first few times I went saw some big puffers and a small shark of some type, gator that was in the boat ramp area spooked my daughter some but he stayed around the area where the fish cleaning tables dumped into the water.

There are a couple of dive shops around, and Seahorse water safari has boats going out for scuba/snorkeling trips. I have heard if you can get out to the shark hole at the tip of the park that it is nice but no first hand visits.

Thanks all for the scoop. We're going to be paddling sea kayaks, so no way to dive from them. If we only end up going for the week, we'll just bring snorkel stuff. If longer, I'll bring the dive gear and swing by PCB or Vortex so the niece can dive.

Another thought, what's the SP like given this is spring break time??? Just thought of that.....:shakehead:

Thanks again!

Although I haven't been there myself, it is my understanding that there is some modest snorkeling in the bay. It is very popular with snorkelers in July when the scallop season opens. Here are some snorkeling photos of St. Joe Bay from a guy I know on flickr:
Saint Joseph Peninsula State Park - a set on Flickr
However, I would guess that April may be a little early for seeing many of the juvenile fish that rear there in the summer. Also, if you are going in early April the water will still be pretty cool and you will need a wetsuit for comfortable snorkeling.

Back
Top Bottom