Cape Town diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vetdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi -

My husband and I were invited to co-rent a house in Cape Town next fall (October) - we will be with non-divers, but obviously, we will have to do a bit of diving...and clearly this includes cage dives with Great Whites. Any recommendations for cage diving operations or other diving opportunities accessible as a day trip? How easy is it to arrange transporation to/from dive operations?

Thanks!

Have fun, that's where I used to live, most beautiful place in the world.

PS. Those are real GW's ok, go with a safe company. Don't know how you guys can do the Tuna thing???

Hi

I have just done a Great White dive with a company called Marine Dynamics . They
are a good operation and the prices are fair . They will collect you from Cape Town
and take you back . It's about a 2 hour drive .There are more operators , I will try
to get their WWW for you .

I would be more than happy to take you guys on a few (lots if you want) dives -
there's plenty to see in our waters .I am a member of a very active dive club , you are welcome to come diving with us .If the weather gets really bad , there is always
our Aquarium - in fact it's worth a visit anyway .

Where abouts is the house you are renting ?

Any more questions about anything ? - just ask away , I'm more than happy to help !!!

Safe Diving

Andrew

Hi, Andrew - the house we are after is in Misty Cliffs (??) - hope this is specific enough. We would love to do some other dives - I need to pick up a guidebook so I have some idea what is in that area and what we'd be most interested in seeing. We dive up here most weekends, shore dives and wrecks via charter boats. We'd love to meet up with a local diver. So -seemed like the water temp is high 50's, low 60's - what can we expect in October? Is it best to dive dry if you get cold easily (that would be me, not my husband - I don't even bother with wetsuits in New England, even in the summer)?

Thanks a bunch - I will post when we are booked, but it looks like this is going to a be a sure thing...so I guess I'd better start scrimping now for the flights and dives.

Allison

We did a cagedive with Marine Dynamics as well. The trip was done by André Hartmann. We have seen several sharks. We stayed in a place called The Kelders, near Gansbaai and stayed at the Roundhouse which is truly a treat to stay in.

vetdiver:

Hi, Andrew - the house we are after is in Misty Cliffs (??) - hope this is specific enough. We would love to do some other dives - I need to pick up a guidebook so I have some idea what is in that area and what we'd be most interested in seeing. We dive up here most weekends, shore dives and wrecks via charter boats. We'd love to meet up with a local diver. So -seemed like the water temp is high 50's, low 60's - what can we expect in October? Is it best to dive dry if you get cold easily (that would be me, not my husband - I don't even bother with wetsuits in New England, even in the summer)?

Thanks a bunch - I will post when we are booked, but it looks like this is going to a be a sure thing...so I guess I'd better start scrimping now for the flights and dives.

Allison

Allison

Ditto what Andrew has said - seeing as though we belong to the same club! You'll find us "capeys" very friendly and always willing to help (make sure you warm up the beer drinking arm though...). Seeing as though you're staying in Misty Cliffs you'll find that without a car, transport will be an issue. Public transport from there is non-existent. It's near Scarborough on the western seaboard of the Cape Peninsula. If you're looking for a guide "Dives Sites of Southern Africa" by Anton Koornhof is about the best (you can order it from www.kalahari.net). There are several charters in Cape Town, most of which do a good job, Pisces Divers (www.piscesdivers.co.za) as one of the best You're looking at about US$15-20 for a single tank charter (excluding equipment). A day trip with a charter can include up to 3 dives (around US$45), one of which WILL be a wreck. The conditions here are hugely variable, with vis going from 0 to 20-odd metres (5-10 being the average) and temperatures from 42F to 65F. October will have the full gamut of temperatures. If you get cold, dive dry - but the vast majority of divers here dive wet.

As far as shark cage diving is concerned, most are much of a muchness especially considering a few of the operators share infrastructure.

Also, as you'll be here at the height of whale season, be sure to include an outing to Hermanus, or include a stay in Die Kelders when you do your shark trip.

As Andrew said, throw as many questions as you like.

I am already getting very excited...and will happily port my drysuit out that way. Cannot believe the charters are so inexpensive...wow. I will pick up that book for a nice warm-up gift for the hubby. Vis and temps sound fine - as good, maybe better than what we typically have here - we were out last weekend on a wreck with about 5 ft vis, nearly swam right by the line when we were looking to ascend...

I assumed as much about the house being in the middle of nowhere - I had already figured that a rental vehicle was in the cards.

Beer drinking arm workouts began this weekend at local Octoberfest event...by next year, I should be able to drink all you men under the table...ya'll better get ready...

Misty Cliffs may be in the middle of nowhere , but it is in one of the most scenic parts of the Cape !!! Most of the houses there have good sea views - I work there from time to time .It's also close to where the diving is .A cheap rental (read : small compact sedan ) will be about $ 20 per day , you may get better deals .

Anyway , we will talk later , I'm sure we will give you all the help we can

Safe Diving

Andrew

vetdiver:
I am already getting very excited...and will happily port my drysuit out that way. Cannot believe the charters are so inexpensive...wow.

For you yes, but it gets a bit expensive for us....

vetdiver:
I assumed as much about the house being in the middle of nowhere - I had already figured that a rental vehicle was in the cards.

Just be prepared for some awful driving - South Africans tend to be a bit reckless on the roads

vetdiver:
Beer drinking arm workouts began this weekend at local Octoberfest event...by next year, I should be able to drink all you men under the table...ya'll better get ready...

Andrew - that sounds like challenge. We'll have to get her to the club one Wednesday night..... :beer_yum:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom