Cape Town Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
From Diver drowns at Cape resort - Western Cape | IOL News | IOL.co.za
p.gif
December 11 2011 at 01:31pm

Cape Town - A man has died while diving for crayfish at the Soetwater Resort in Cape Town, the city's emergency services said on Sunday.
The incident was reported to the paramedics around 1pm on Saturday, said spokesman Wilfred Solomons-Johannes.
On their arrival on the scene they found Athlone resident Clinton Koopman, 26, had been pulled out of the water by other divers and family members.
“When Koopman was removed from the water, he was fully kitted out with his diving equipment such as a wetsuit, hood, gloves, booties, weight belt, fins, mask, snorkel, and a special bag to put the crayfish in,” Solomons-Johannes said.
“Paramedics took over from those that removed him from the water and continued with cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).”
He was declared dead on the scene around 9pm.
An inquest docket had been opened. - Sapa

Don, are you intentionally reporting snorkelers deaths as this was not a diver. It may be interesting to free divers, but not so much to scuba divers, or at least not to me.

However, the A & I sub-forum guidelines say that it's for "the discussion of diving Accidents and Incidents." It doesn't specify SCUBA diving. Granted, this sub-forum is a part of "SCUBA Diving Central," but then so is the free-diving and snorkeling sub-forum, so that umbrella alone doesn't seem to me to limit it to SCUBA topics -- especially when the A & I guidelines don't specify SCUBA-only.

Another possible consideration is that sometimes the initial media reports are somewhat inaccurate (along with their equipment assessments), and something reported as "diving" might be free-diving, SCUBA diving, or even snorkeling (so even if A & I were restricted to SCUBA, there might be some leeway).

I'm glad someone takes the time to subscribe to Google news (or however it is that Don gets his info), and then makes the effort to post the info and links here on SB.

I understood that Freediving and Snorkeling accidents were covered here too, but you can ask those charge.

Don, are you intentionally reporting snorkelers deaths as this was not a diver. It may be interesting to free divers, but not so much to scuba divers, or at least not to me.

If I posted in every thread that the OP wasn't interesting to ME, I would have more posts than most on here.

Stop, think, act.

It's easy for me to ignore threads. We are a Scuba website hence the name, Scubaboard... We included Free Diving as some of our members do free dive and asked for a free diving area. If members are interested in non scuba related drowning victims so be it. BTW, a guy down the street died of a heart attack last week! Give us Dirty laundry! :reaper:

Ron
What was he doing and did he have the right cert card. I am sure he was either doing it wrong or wasn't trAined in what he was doing.

Cheers
Michael

Ron
What was he doing and did he have the right cert card. I am sure he was either doing it wrong or wasn't trAined in what he was doing.

Cheers
Michael

He was SWIMMING, at night. He got caught in current, and drowned. The discussion is useless unless you want to discuss the intricacies of how to breath water until dead? He did not have, nor did he need certification cards.

This thread illustrates the point. There is no reason to discuss a swimmer drowning......

Ron. I see nothing in the article that says anything about a current, nighttime (1pm is not night) or that cause of death was drowning. I know I am relatively new around here but I believed that in this forum we try to stick to reported fact.

Back
Top Bottom