Cape Town Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He was SWIMMING, at night. He got caught in current, and drowned. The discussion is useless unless you want to discuss the intricacies of how to breath water until dead? He did not have, nor did he need certification cards.

This thread illustrates the point. There is no reason to discuss a swimmer drowning......

So once a scuba diver surfaces, he's a swimmer/snorkeler when he uses up his air, and the accident should not be reported if he drowns or has a heart attack on the surface fighting a current

There is no reason to discuss a swimmer drowning......

There is so much crap on ScubaBoard that there is no point in discussing, yet it exists here. There is little to nothing to be learned from a snorkeler that drowns IMO however the way most A&I threads go lately we learn little to nothing from them. People get in the middle and complain about the threads very existence, get offended and plead with people not to discuss it for various reasons.......sound familiar? This all waters down the original thread and any momentum that might have been gained towards producing something that might actually help someone learn something to the point that nothing is taken away and people just look the other way.

There is so much crap on ScubaBoard that there is no point in discussing, yet it exists here. There is little to nothing to be learned from a snorkeler that drowns IMO however the way most A&I threads go lately we learn little to nothing from them.

I agree. Last couple of months) this sub-forum gets spammed with every accident that was somewhere in the news, even if it's only a two sentence article with no information whats however. I don't think its useful, and it is impossible to learn from those incidents as there is no info to learn from. It seems it is more about making this into a collection of all scubadeaths (although over 50% are snorkeling/freediving related in my opinion) then about putting something up here that gives enough info to discuss and learn something based upon facts. I'd rather have 60% less posts, when the 40% remaining posts are by people who know something about what they are posting, or at least have some info to post apart from someone dying somewhere whilst he was freediving/scubadiving/snorkeling.
Then we will have the discussion again, and then we can start learning again IMHO.

I agree. Last couple of months) this sub-forum gets spammed with every accident that was somewhere in the news, even if it's only a two sentence article with no information whats however. I don't think its useful, and it is impossible to learn from those incidents as there is no info to learn from. It seems it is more about making this into a collection of all scubadeaths (although over 50% are snorkeling/freediving related in my opinion) then about putting something up here that gives enough info to discuss and learn something based upon facts. I'd rather have 60% less posts, when the 40% remaining posts are by people who know something about what they are posting, or at least have some info to post apart from someone dying somewhere whilst he was freediving/scubadiving/snorkeling.
Then we will have the discussion again, and then we can start learning again IMHO.
This forum serves to help collect additional info, and only because the discussions are started do we sometimes acquire more info from new sources. The DAN report comes out annually and is usually over a year old with that info, but still good reading - just a different approach.

Maybe you would prefer this quieter forum? Mishap Analysis

The debate that broke our with Ron's criticism should have happened in Site Support. See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/su...ant-snorkeling-accident-reports-new-post.html

Then read 60% fewer posts and put more faith in the 40% you read. I see very little good coming from most of the a&i threads (just my opinion) but respect Don's right to start the threads. I do read many of them but choose not to post is most which is a choice that everybody has.

You never know when you may gain some information that will be useful in some situation. You always have the option of not reading.
A freediver who drowns from a shallow water blackout, is of interest to me as a diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom