Capital One Visa Cardholders - Free "Purchase Eraser" Program for Air Miles!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We have used air miles and rewards points to pay for airline expenses in the past but this is the first time we've used Capital One's "Purchase Eraser" program and it is much easier and better than the others we've used. I am sure that other credit card companies offer similar programs so check with your card company and make sure that you are enrolled.

It doesn't cost anything but you do have to sign up for the PE program in advance, we only found out about it by accident so that's why I am telling you all about it.

With the PE program you just book your flights in the normal manner by charging them to your Capital One Visa. There are NO black out dates and the rewards program does NOT book your flights for you. Plus you earn rewards points on the airfare purchase!

Then you just wait a few days for the purchase to be posted before calling the Rewards Center to tell them that you want to use your points to "erase your recent purchase" and they will take the cost off your credit card statement and deduct the number of points used from your bank.

You have 90 days to erase a purchase and you can use the PE program to erase other travel-related purchases (hotel, rental car) but we used it for the airfare for our upcoming trip to the Caymans. Your rewards points don't expire but once you've used them they're gone and you can't get them back if your plans change; but we have trip insurance that includes the cost of the airfare so that should be okay.

Our round trip flights for 2 people from Chicago to Grand Cayman to Little Cayman and back home cost $1280 total, but we had enough points banked to erase all but $57 of that amount - that's pretty sweet!

I promise that I am not a Capital One card retailer! But just to let you know, another reason we like using this card for vacations is because they don't charge any "foreign transaction fees". Some credit cards charge 1, 2, or even 3% extra on purchases made in a foreign country and that can really increase your travel expense. It is important to know what you are getting from your Visa or MasterCard - and what they are taking from you!

Last edited:
No forex fees??? Must be nice to be in the U.S. I used our World MasterCard for years. 3 years back me and my wife's biz spending paid for our villa rental in Salt Cay and Provo. Up here the eraser is done online.

Now I used Aeroplan cards only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No forex fees??? Must be nice to be in the U.S. I used our World MasterCard for years. 3 years back me and my wife's biz spending paid for our villa rental in Salt Cay and Provo. Up here the eraser is done online. Now I used Aeroplan cards only.

Some US cards have foreign exchange fees but I traveled outside the US 3 times last year (Canada, Korea, and Caymans) and never got hit with fees for any of those locations. I am not one to "wax poetic" about my Visa card, but I am pretty happy with Capital One.

98% of cards up here have forex fees. There are a few Chase cards that don't. Guess what I use for trip expenses! Cheaper than ATM's which are 2% plus a fee.

My wife sold her biz and we've got the Pacific bug so I need flight miles. With churning cards and spending we should have enough to keep us in biz class for the foreseeable future. Just wish Star Alliance would fly to Tahiti or Fiji. $5-7k on airfare for the 3 of us is too much, and in economy!! The horror! Lol

...Just wish Star Alliance would fly to Tahiti or Fiji. $5-7k on airfare for the 3 of us is too much, and in economy!! The horror! Lol

Asiana Air flies to Palau and Saipan and Sydney and they are a Star Alliance member. It's a wonderful airline I took business class to Seoul last year. Thank goodness my company was willing to pay business class because that was a loooong flight directly from Chicago!

Yup, Palau is another easy *A option. 24hr flight from Toronto. We considered it once a few years back.

the purchase eraser is a new concept to me. we do not have it on aeroplan (that i am aware of)

it seems like a nifty way to get around some seat availability issues.

but i know there is no such thing as free lunch. how do the redemption rates for the purchase eraser compare to normal rewards redemption rates? are there step price buckets or different rates for different levels of membership?

just curious to understand the fine print as we are heavy users of aeroplan (think air canada) rewards and my wife and i have access to different redemptions as she has a higher membership level.

You can use the purchaser eraser on line. You don't have to call. At least with the Capital One Venture card. You click on Rewards and then navigate to the appropriate space. Be careful to choose the purchase eraser. That's the way you'll get 1 cent in value per point. Most of the other reward choices give .5 cents in value.

And no forex.

Discover Card also has no international fees but you're supposed to call and let them know you are traveling out of the country so there's no interruption of services. Not sure if you are supposed to for Capital One or not...I never have and haven't had any problems.

Lots of cards have great features. Although Bank of America Visa has international fees, we were able to erase (through reward points) $500 of eligible travel expenses.

Aeroplan cards are totally different from the Capital One card. The World card give 2% back on all purchases. There is tiered levels. 60,000 miles and up gives you $600, 100,000 $1000 etc. It's the lower levels that get you. $250 in spending requires 35,000 miles, no longer 2%.

Aeroplan requires learning how the systems works and how to avoid outrageous taxes and fees, plus planning way in advance. I've always got tickets over the Christmas holidays for instance and always snag the biz seats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom