Captain Dons Bonaire and Habitat Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muzicgirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hola!
So we are narrowing down our hotel options in Bonaire...We will be splitting our honeymoon in September with 1 week in Curacao and 1 week in Bonaire. In Curacao we are staying at Habitat. They have a special deal if you stay at their Captain Dons Habitat in Bonaire the inter-island flight is free. I haven't seen any feedback on Captain Dons in Bonaire and was wondering if anyone has ever stayed there. If so, How does it compare to Carib Inn, Buddy Dive, and Divi? Any input is greatly appreciated. We just can't make up our darned minds!
-M

I didn't stay there but we used them as our dive OP. From what I saw I wouldn't hesitate to stay there. Everyone very friendly and helpful. It is centrally located for easy trips to the north and south. Enjoy your trip, I hope to get back soon.

We have stayed at Captain Don's Habtat in Bonaire for the last 10 years and had a great time every year. We prefer the junior suites (just the two of us) and there is a new block opening soon. You have to meet Captain Don he is one special guy and he normally comes to the Managers Rum Punch party on Monday nights. If you need more info please let me know.

Hola!
So we are narrowing down our hotel options in Bonaire...We will be splitting our honeymoon in September with 1 week in Curacao and 1 week in Bonaire. In Curacao we are staying at Habitat. They have a special deal if you stay at their Captain Dons Habitat in Bonaire the inter-island flight is free. I haven't seen any feedback on Captain Dons in Bonaire and was wondering if anyone has ever stayed there. If so, How does it compare to Carib Inn, Buddy Dive, and Divi? Any input is greatly appreciated. We just can't make up our darned minds!
-M
Just returned from 7 days at Habitat Curacao and would not stay there again - one restaurant and 30 min to town, Had to settle with restaurant, dive shop and hotel separately. Food was good , prices were fair but service was "same day service" - had to get my own water refills they were so slow. Some Canadians staying there told me they like Buddy Dive Resort better than Captain Don's on Bonaire. Evidently Captain don sold the Curacao place according to what I heard but could not confirm it.

I spent a week at Captain Don's and would NOT recommend it. There are much better dive resorts on the island. Their DMs were disinterested and totally unfriendly. The hotel is so-so. Food was awful and I would definitely not return. Do some research on older threads. You will find much better places to stay and dive.

Thanks- from what I am hearing about captain dons, we are crossing it off the list.

I'm not sure if Captain Don ever owned the operation in Curacao, it was always just "Habitat" not "Captain Don's Habitat" there.

Anyway no comment on Habitat Bonaire, we liked it well enough the times we stayed but thats too way long ago to be meaningful. Habitat Curacao we've been to alot, last time maybe summer 2007? We used to really like it but they've let the place get run down and personally I'd want a nicer place on my honeymoon.

I wouldn't be so quick to cross Captain Don's off the list. It all depends on what you're looking for. The rooms are clean and nice. The lockers for your equipment are right by the dock. You can be diving a terrific house reef in less than 20 steps from your locker. I didn't find the DMs disinterested, although I confess that we mostly go shore diving and don't have much contact with the DM's. Also, they have an ample supply of tanks always ready to grab and go.

The restaurant is okay but not great, although the pizza is good. But there are a lot of restaurants just a short drive away - and ice cream within walking distance!

Bonaire has many great dive resorts. In fact, on our next trip we're going to Buddy (which is right next door to Don's).

Mountain Dog

I Thank you all for the input - it is not making this decision between buddy, divi, the plaza and captain dons any easier! I don't think we are going to be driving around the island doing dives...we like to keep to where we are staying but, we do love shore and boat diving! We are thinking of the plaza resort because it is supposed to be a little nicer...but then again who knows! I'm stewing in all of this....

I Thank you all for the input - it is not making this decision between buddy, divi, the plaza and captain dons any easier! I don't think we are going to be driving around the island doing dives...we like to keep to where we are staying but, we do love shore and boat diving! We are thinking of the plaza resort because it is supposed to be a little nicer...but then again who knows! I'm stewing in all of this....

Buddy is very nice. So is Plaza. Restaurants are all easily accessible rom any resort. Captain Don's has a great house reef which is essentially shared with Buddy. CD has an easier entry/exit - but the attitude of the people there is lousy. It is obvious that they do not enjoy what they do on a daily basis. The women who hands out weights (wife of the manager) easily qualifies as one of the most unpleasant people I have ever met. I really wouldn't take a chance on my vacation with that miserable bunch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom