Car Accidents Under Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
Either you were diving with a terrible 'buddy', or you are a terrible buddy, or both. Team diving is a skill, and once you've learned that skill, the concept of that a team could be separated is incredibly difficult to comprehend.

I dive with my photo equipment and don't wan't anyone depending on me during this time... You may call me a bad buddy but that's why I now prefer to dive solo...

Team diving is nice when you learn it but sorry, most people never do...

I don't know what DIR guys (since you obviously are talking in their slang) do when they use a camera but I find it very hard to focus properly on camera and the team at the same time...

hvulin:
I dive with my photo equipment and don't wan't anyone depending on me during this time... You may call me a bad buddy but that's why I now prefer to dive solo...

Team diving is nice when you learn it but sorry, most people never do...

I don't know what DIR guys (since you obviously are talking in their slang) do when they use a camera but I find it very hard to focus properly on camera and the team at the same time...

This is an instance where a team of three is probably a good idea.
e.a.e.

Nostromo:
This is an instance where a team of three is probably a good idea.
e.a.e.

hm, but this team will scare away whatever is left of the fish and I'll have nothing to take pictures of... btw. I sometimes stay at a single spot for 10-15min taking photos, how are we supposed to work as a team that way?

hvulin:
hm, but this team will scare away whatever is left of the fish and I'll have nothing to take pictures of... btw. I sometimes stay at a single spot for 10-15min taking photos, how are we supposed to work as a team that way?

When we (usually my wife and I) plan a photo dive, that's simply the objective of the dive. We treat it as any other task in that while one diver sees to one task or part of the task, the other sees to their part. Having 2 sets of eyes makes it easier to remain aware of everything, not harder. In fact, when my wife has the camera I've often pointed her to photo oportunities she would have never noticed otherwise. We get some poictures of some pretty shy wild life and and having two of us there doesn't make them any more shy than if there was one. We've spent over an hour in one small area of spawning beds getting pics and staying in one place doing it isn't a problem because that's the planned objective of the dive. In many cases (with lighting, environmental and navigational concerns) we've found that having more than one diver on a photo dive is a big help.

No doubt a photographer on a dive with some one who has a totally different objective for the dive might not work all that well and they might even scare away your subjects or swim away without you noticing. There again, nothing wrong with diving alone (especially in the solo forum) but carrying a camera shouldn't force you to it. LOL

bundy:
I totally agree with you soggy. Plan the dive and dive the plan. But in real world situations there is a chance that something goes wrong no matter how much planning you do, with situations other than medical problems. Just agree with me on that.

I have to agree with Soggy. True, there is a chance that something goes wrong no matter how much planning you do, but if you follow some basic rules, you'll be able to deal with those situations, almost every time. Of course you might run into a situation in which there's nothing you can do, with or without a buddy, but that just means it's your time.

I dive solo and do enjoy it. But I also dive with a buddy and in teams, and it does take discipline and practice. About a month ago I was diving in a team of 4 in 5 feet of visibility. About 3/4s of the way through the dive we lost contact (it happens, especially in low viz). Fortunately we were back to a shallow depth (about 20 feet), and guess what, we surfaced at exactly the same time - all four of us - about 15 feet apart from each other. We regrouped, descended and continued the rest of the dive. Would we have been able to continue the dive had we been deeper? No, but we would still have surfaced at the same time, because that's how we dive. Oh, and BTW, 2 of us had cameras on that dive and were taking macro shots. The separation wasn't caused by photographing. It was a result of the low viz and was the only one out of 8 hours of diving that weekend.

Yes, as a solo diver you can become totally redundant. I dive with doubles to create the air redundancy, but I also practice S-drills when diving doubles with a buddy for added redundancy.

And BTW hvulin, I'm not DIR.

Dive-aholic:
And BTW hvulin, I'm not DIR.

ok, ok, I didn't want to start another war so please let's not go there (I quite like some of DIR ideas but my lifstyle and work don't allow me to actually live and dive like that)

you're lucky you have such good buddies near by, I am ussually stuck with ordinary tourists and that's why I prefer to avoid them and dive solo (or from the same boat but without any assigned buddy)

dive safe, have fun

hvulin:
ok, ok, I didn't want to start another war so please let's not go there (I quite like some of DIR ideas but my lifstyle and work don't allow me to actually live and dive like that)

you're lucky you have such good buddies near by, I am ussually stuck with ordinary tourists and that's why I prefer to avoid them and dive solo (or from the same boat but without any assigned buddy)

dive safe, have fun

I'm not trying to start a war either (although one may already be brewing...we'll have to see... :wink: ). I also like some of the DIR ways, but consider myself more Hogarthian than DIR. Besides, I don't think many divers around my area even know what DIR is, never mind trying to find a fundies class.

I have to admit I am lucky to have good buddies around. :D

There always seems to be a debate about Solo vs. Buddy diving.

There are good arguments for and against each, so it will go on forever.

It is definitely therapeutic to some (my main reason for it). It is also more dangerous than being with someone who (might) be able to bail you out in the case of entanglement, OOA due to valve failures, medical problems, etc.. (Before someone pipes in….this assumes the buddy is not a liability waiting to take you down with him/her). If you like the feeling of solitude isolation, it is really strong when you are in trouble and out of air, trapped under water.

Let’s face it; the ideal team is two (or more) buddies that are trained and self sufficient Solo/Tec divers diving together. Teamwork and independent self-sufficiency trained to handle underwater emergencies? You can’t go wrong there. Both are trained to not panic and handle all emergencies themselves, but can be available to assist their buddy's if need be.

However, safety isn’t the point of solo diving (for most anyway). It should be assumed (especially for anyone without advanced training and experience specifically in redundant and self-sufficiency dive fields) that it is dangerous. So is regular scuba diving. Imagine two brand new divers buddying up to go get some dive experience without a trained DM or at least a rescue diver near them. They have no idea how to respond to emergencies. Sounds crazy when you think about it, but it is suggested and advised everyday. They are (IMO) more at risk than I am solo diving but no one tells them it's a bad idea.

We all choose the risks we will take for out own excitement, adventure, and pleasure. Some are willing to take more than others. Tec Divers know they stand a better chance of getting killed than staying in normal recreational limits, but are still willing to do extreme dives for their own pleasure. It is the same for solo divers, and shouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing, or implied that it is wrong as opposed to “buddy diving” assuming the diver knows the added risks. IMO it is not a very significant increase in risk anyway if you are trained properly.

It is a choice, just like getting your first certification and continuing on. I’d hate to see “land lubbers” coming into here and posting against scuba diving in general.

That aside……

Welcome to Bundy and the (other like myself) new members that have posted in this thread. Thanks for sharing you passion in Solo diving. (Just ignore the ones who bash it, maybe they’ll go away). :05: I enjoy seeing that there are others out there.

-SG

PS.

rdharbis1:
I have a long way to go to qualify to be a solo diver, but I already think that one day I will. I have much to learn, and always will. I would not have responded in this thread except for the previous entry stating the therapeutic value of solo. I used to hunt a great deal, alone, and there is something to being out there. I really enjoyed that and would still go if I had access to lands that would allow it. I am assuming that a solo dive would be just as rewarding. My wife has already said NEVER and that is a request I will not go against.
Listen to your wife. She has a say in how you risk you life as well. Mine has given my solo diving her blessing (right after she raised my life insurance limits). :11: (Think I’m kidding?) :05:

If you do pursue (much later), check into solo diving cert classes (SDI) as a minimum, and preferably look into other advanced training, and wait until you have at least 100 dives (required for cert). I like Tec classes as they emphasize self sufficiency and practice underwater emergency drills.

Don’t just go out and try it just because others do it.

Good-luck

As a quick aside, can that pre-requisite 100 logged dives INCLUDE solo dives?

Back
Top Bottom