Car key question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a waterproof case that I bought for my iPhone. It cost about $60. I can slip the key in there, seal it up, then zip it into the pouch on my float.

faced with this problem, I was able to put the key into an empty underwater light which provided a nice waterproof, if somewhat bulky, solution that went diving with me.

Get a simple, non-electronic key.

It will open your doors, right? Then your electronic key is hidden safely inside the vehicle.

Standard $2 keys are waterproof, just like driver's licenses and money.

That is what I do. I lock all my valuables in my Suburban and carry a spare key in the pocket of my swim trunks, inside my wetsuit.

I have a plastic valet key (came with the car) that goes right into the key slot on the inside of my wetsuit. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this.

There are many good ideas above. I have a "Hitch Lock" I sometimes use. It goes into the receiver hitch on my Prius and has a numbers dial for a code. Otherwise I had a door key cut since my Smart Key is not allowed anywhere near the water. Toyota and other manufacturers have a bypass switch, so you can lock the key in the car. The cut key has a bolt snap tied to it, and lives in my pocket.

I use a key lock box that locks to tow bar or similar, around 40USD. It's pretty sturdy although I'm sure it could be broken into but imagine its harder to get into than my car is.

I leave the key with the buttons on it inside the car, and take a plain key with me. It is on a small metal split ring, and I attach it to the bungie loop in my pocket with a spare double ender.

I don't care if the alarm goes off when I open the car with the plain key, because it would take seconds to get in the car and access the regular button module. Actually, the alarm generally doesn't go off anyhow when unlocked like that. Probably because there is a code pad in the dashboard that needs to be used before the car will start.

Back
Top Bottom