Car Keys and Diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If one dives dry, all one needs is a zip bag inside the suit.

If one stays dry as intended, yes. If, however, you have a problem....

If you get a door key then you may still be able to leave the fib key in the car. Try putting it in a snuff can in the glove box. I drive a toyota and i lock my key in the car i have a plastic credit card key that i use to opent he door. it wont start the engine but it will open the door. You could also get another fob key and cut off the physical key part so it can be used only to open the doors or trunk. Moot answer for keyless ignitions. Lastly you cang get on ebay a light battery canister. water tight, if you trust it for your only key. Personally i would go to ebay and get the fob for 30 bucks have it cut for the door and not program it to your car so the engine cant be started. I have seen some that change the passenger door lock and carry that key. no one tries a key in every door till it fits. You have lots of options.

Metallic Cobalt Wrap for Remote Key Fob Mercedes Benz E C R CL GL SL CL 08 2012 | eBay

Figure out why the alarm goes wonky. It shouldn't. That's the very essence of the valet key.
The Mercedes key valet feature is the reverse of most. The key itself is the fob. That's what you use to start the engine. The metal portion is for locking the glove box, and can be used to lock/unlock the doors. You can't use that portion to start the car. So, when you valet, you disconnect the metal portion, along with key ring, and hand the valet the fob.

I have a separate valet key I use for shore dives. I have a carabiner style clip zip tied in the pocket of my BC. Once I've donned all the gear and grab my fins to head to the beach I lock the door with the valet key and make sure its clipped in the pocket. It would suck to have it fall out during the dive. I leave the electronic one in the car in the glove compartment which is also locked with the valet key.

If diving with buddies you can always ask to leave the electronic one in the buddies car. For boat dives I put the car keys in my Pelikan case which also holds my wallet and iPhone.

"Chipped" key in the car, "somewhere"....

Vanity key (won't start the engine) on a lanyard around my neck inside my WS/DS for shore dives, or in the dry box my PDC travels in along with my wallet and phone in my dive bag if on a boat.

c26-MASTER-LOCK-B0002YP1VC-1-sm.jpg

+
​
40-3870-NCL-FRONT.JPG

+
threaded through wheel rim
= safe key

masterlocks are terrible, get at least an american lock with 5 security pins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom