Car Keys and Diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FiddlerOnTheRoof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi everyone,

So I don't know about you guys, but every time I go diving, the dilemma arises as to what to do with the car keys... In the older times or if you are driving an older car it was easy to just lock the car and stanch the plain key inside your wet suite and no worries if it got wet! Now with the newer cars and more sophisticated electronic keys it's not so easy. Or is it? What do you guys do? Even with a dry-suite you still cannot take them to deep from what I understand??

Any ideas??

Peter

key.png

The Mercedes key that I have comes with a detachable valet key... The only problem is when I unlock the car with it the moment I open the door all hell breaks loose with the alarm.

I put mine (also electronic) in a little, fold-over, magnetically sealed waterproof pouch that is, on its own, rated to 100 feet. That goes in a pocket in my undergarment. So even if my drysuit flooded, the key should still be protected.

One of the guys I dive with has a hitch-safe and he drops his keys in that.

There's a thread with tons of answers somewhere. My approach costs nothing. Put the spare key (I always drive with a spare) in a ziplock bag (in case of rain), and bury it in sand, dirt, put in bushes, etc. near the car. Mark it with a twig or something that others won't look at twice. Of course, don't let anyone see you doing this..... Here in NS I just have a flat rock in the car and put the bagged key under it. Most sites I dive here have many rocks and most of those have no people. I don't use the rock South of the border--it's a Canadian rock.

Fords have combo locks on the door, so I lock mine in. With rental cars, I put them in a dry bag and hope for the best

Full insurance and hide the key if it gets stolen it always had 3 sets of doubles in the back.

Back
Top Bottom