Car rental experience (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m really glad that I take a taxi around or just walk when traveling to Cozumel, you’re on a small island after all.
I agree, though I stay close to town where the taxi rides are cheap and easy to come by. If you stay way south, YMMV.

Taxi around town is the way to go, or walk. but how about a whole day spent touring the other side of the island. Might be nice to hire a taxi for the whole day to go exploring, but how much would this cost compared to having your own (rental) for a day or two.
Anybody ever hire a driver for the day?

I’m really glad that I take a taxi around or just walk when traveling to Cozumel, you’re on a small island after all. What it looks like you paid in liability insurance per day is about what is needed for a trip downtown, with a lot less worries. You don’t have to worry about parking, drinking and driving, and or getting into an accident, you’re on a vacation. Granted, the sidewalks can be an adventure, while walking. I remember a thread about that some time ago.
The taxi drivers seem to all be friendly, even while weaving their way through traffic, and don’t seem to get lost. The $35 cancellation fee would cover another trip to town, to get more beer, and a tip for the driver. I’m sure there are reasons for people needing a car for part of the trip, just need to figure out what you would pay the taxi driver vs the cost of a car, then factor in the amount of a headache renting a car can be, you’re on a vacation.
Sometimes it's cheaper to book a package than just the plane ticket. Current price on my next trip for the plane ticket is now $414 RT, while the same ticket with a car on an Orbitz 200entertain discount would be $386.

I booked plane and hotel with that $200 discount instead applied to a private room each for us (no snoring competition!) but I think she had a place already and besides needed to get around more.

Taxi around town is the way to go, or walk. but how about a whole day spent touring the other side of the island. Might be nice to hire a taxi for the whole day to go exploring, but how much would this cost compared to having your own (rental) for a day or two.
Anybody ever hire a driver for the day?
Yes, I have, and it was great.

The bolded above is just not correct. This is what the Visa website says about its debit cards: Visa Debit Card Zero Liability Policy

Visa Debit/Check Card | Personal | Visa USA

Visa Zero Liablity Policy:

Zero Liability | Personal | Visa USA

As far as I know most bank debit cards either carry the Visa/Mastercard logo, and would fall under this policy. Mastercard also has a similiar policy. Now you might lose access to your funds at the moment that you need them, but you do have recourse.

There is an important difference. Practically, it may mean nothing... or everything.

The zero liability on a VISA debit card is an offer made voluntarily by VISA to it's customers. VISA can amend the terms, impose restrictions and exclusions, or even end the offer if they want. You should be protected if you comply with all the terms but if they don't cooperate the onus is on you to hold them to it. It is a private agreement between VISA and you.

The zero liability on a VISA credit card is mandated by federal law. Actually the law specifies a $50 max liability if you notify them promptly. They cannot add fine print restrictions and exclusions (they can reduce your liability and most go ahead and make it zero liability) or terminate this agreement.

There is an important difference. Practically, it may mean nothing... or everything.

The zero liability on a VISA debit card is an offer made voluntarily by VISA to it's customers. VISA can amend the terms, impose restrictions and exclusions, or even end the offer if they want. You should be protected if you comply with all the terms but if they don't cooperate the onus is on you to hold them to it. It is a private agreement between VISA and you.

The zero liability on a VISA credit card is mandated by federal law. Actually the law specifies a $50 max liability if you notify them promptly. They cannot add fine print restrictions and exclusions (they can reduce your liability and most go ahead and make it zero liability) or terminate this agreement.

In this case I think liability is referring to damage to another vehicle. Is there liability protection for injury to other persons available outside of the U.S? My State Farm policy only covers 50 miles across the Mexican border and Canada. Law in most other countries has an "absolute liability" versus "strict" or "limited."

Cobra-
Did you have copies of your e-mail and end up getting the rate you were quoted? I have a reservation with Less Pay for May and was quoted the same prices with "credit card" stated on the reservation form. I'll print my e-mails anyway, but I'm wondering if I'd get the rates even with that, or if we should just plan on using cash?

I emailed lesspay yesterday and have not heard back. If I have not heard back by today I will go with IRIS car rental. VW bug $30 per day includes everything.

According to another site I use the going rate for a driver for 4 people, 3 hrs is $95. Additional hrs are $25 each.

Renting a car for a wk will cost me about $100 more than my planned taxi expense. About $30 - 40 rd trip from hotel to town. Also gives me a car to see the other side of the island.

In this case I think liability is referring to damage to another vehicle. Is there liability protection for injury to other persons available outside of the U.S? My State Farm policy only covers 50 miles across the Mexican border and Canada. Law in most other countries has an "absolute liability" versus "strict" or "limited."
He was correcting my post about loss of funds liability if a debit card is compromised. While there are safeties with debit cards, I generally feel safer using a credit card with safeties mandated by law.

No, the post and link to which I responded - the Zero Liability offer by VISA - has nothing specifically to do with rental cars, it is a general consumer protection from fraud.

As for credit cards that offer to cover the CDW, they can cover you wherever they want. That's between them and you. The Mexican rental companies do not accept it and will not file a claim with them in lieu of payment from you. In other words, you will have to pay any damages on the spot and VISA will reimburse you later. If you comply with the terms and can provide the necessary documentation. My concern is that VISA might balk at a damage estimate or claim for loss of use or something, then what are you going to do? The Mexican rental company has no reason to work it out with your credit card issuer, that's why they get their money first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom