Car Rental upcharges.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

old gaffer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hola Scubaboarders!

I booked a trip through Orbitz for May. I got an SUV for the week for about $200. I know I will need to take the Mexican Insurance and our Travel section of our local paper had an article about the upcharges for car rental in Mexico. They said that after arrival you will find that your actual rental will be at least double what you signed for.

What has been your experience? I am already committed to the vehicle and it is arranged through one of the familiar brands (cant remember if it was Alamo or what) Also are those rentals available at the airport or offsite?

We are staying at the Occidental Grand that week so we will need transportation.

Tom

That might likely be the case if you didn't talk to them directly. I have rented from Executive before and you can get a complete quote from them. They also have an 'office' right next to the airport and the Iberostar, i believe. $200 for a nice suv sounds pretty cheap. I paid more from executive for a jeep liberty one time. Executive's service was great though.
I have been getting cars from Adrian at pirate/rooster rentals. They have an office across from the ferry pier, sort of walk left of Palmeras and hook a left into the pedestrian alley/walkway/mall thing. Their office is a small room on the right. I have been using them to get an automatic with air for a good price.
Isis is also excellent back on 5 ave just north of the plaza, but she has limited automatics and my wife didn't want to do stick when she was on her own. Margarita at ISIS is terrific and it runs if I recall 35-45 a day with all the insurance and a modest deductable.

It has been my experience that, if the rental agency doesn't specifically say that their price includes everything, that you will pay about twice what the "price" quoted on line is. But even $400 for a week, for an SUV, is not a bad price.

Did you use an Amex card? If so you may have some options.
Hi Steve!

Many cards have free insurance built in, if not most, or you can buy it cheap from Orbitz. Big Problem if you need it tho. You have to pay whatever they say before you can leave, then file for refunds later. Forms are in Spanish of course.

I like lots of local insurance. Ace has SUVs for $148/week in May including taxes, but even basic insurance would probly double that.

Last edited:
That might likely be the case if you didn't talk to them directly. I have rented from Executive before and you can get a complete quote from them. They also have an 'office' right next to the airport and the Iberostar, i believe. $200 for a nice suv sounds pretty cheap. I paid more from executive for a jeep liberty one time. Executive's service was great though.
I have been getting cars from Adrian at pirate/rooster rentals. They have an office across from the ferry pier, sort of walk left of Palmeras and hook a left into the pedestrian alley/walkway/mall thing. Their office is a small room on the right. I have been using them to get an automatic with air for a good price.
Isis is also excellent back on 5 ave just north of the plaza, but she has limited automatics and my wife didn't want to do stick when she was on her own. Margarita at ISIS is terrific and it runs if I recall 35-45 a day with all the insurance and a modest deductable.

Has it been your experience that we could talk with Margarita via Skype, etc. to make arrangements before we arrive?

Thanks!

Has it been your experience that we could talk with Margarita via Skype, etc. to make arrangements before we arrive?

I have phoned her in the past. I have no idea if she has a Skype account, but either Skypeout or regular phone calls to Mexico aren't that much.

Margarita is pretty responsive via email, and that's how we've made all our arrangements for the past few years.

You definitely want to arrange things ahead of time. For one thing, she gives an internet discount. For another, she's run out of cars at peak times even when I tried booking weeks ahead.

No upcharges or extra fees at all, and the insurance is as inclusive as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom