Career Development Loan for Internship At Mermaids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well im sure you'd be quite at home in the mermaids talay .. .. just one thing i forgot to mention .. just incase your looking at any of the other dive schools in pattaya .. like aquanauts for example .. i never found it, even when trying to look as i passed down the soi but their shop is supposed to be located in pattaya soi six .. which is usually called soi sex as its notoriously well known for having "the MOST" bar girls you can imagine in one road .. literally you cannot fit any more girls into this road , they line the walls of the buildings on each side of the road without any space between them ..lol.. and if your a fairly reserved or shy person .. then this is like walking through hell lol .. dont get me wrong .. i love to look at the girls .. but i get shy easy and hated walking through this road even when it was my own choice .. im just glad i hadnt signed up with aquanauts cos i would have had to go there everyday ...not sure where their hotel was but if i was to guess i'd say its not much far from all the nightlife in pattaya , .. mermaids being in jomtien is somewhat quieter and your not under constant attack from the bargirls when you want to go anywhere

:popcorn:
This could get interesting...

For what it's worth I've been hassled in most parts of Pattaya (fair skin, blue eyes... it seems to drive the Thai girls nuts - why doesn't this work elsewhere in the world?!).

After a while it stopped, basically once they realised I wasn't a tourist. I assume this would be similar if you walked down Soi 6 every day (energies better channeled on someone they know might buy something rather than someone they know definitely won't?).

Last edited:

For what it's worth I've been hassled in most parts of Pattaya (fair skin, blue eyes... it seems to drive the Thai girls nuts - why doesn't this work elsewhere in the world?!).

After a while it stopped, basically once they realised I wasn't a tourist. I assume this would be similar if you walked down Soi 6 every day (energies better channeled on someone they know might buy something rather than someone they know definitely won't?).

I would not count on it :lol: Soi 6 is a bit special to say the least

i lived in jomtien for a year down a soi that only had one small beer bar in it .. even after the girls there knew me they never stopped trying .. same as the massage shop and the indian suit shop touts at the end of the soi .. so your chances "in my opinion" of that happening are slim to say the least ..lol

either way ... i'm NOT actually saying the bargirls are bad people , im NOT saying that soi six is a nasty place and nobody should ever go there .. im also NOT saying aquanauts are a bad company to do your scuba training with .. ALL im saying is that this particular soi may be very intimidating for some people to approach, (on the other hand some folk may relish in the fact that its chocked full of sexy girls and ladyboys, which may help persuade them to go there), But i feel its only fair to let somebody who may be travelling halfway across the world have an accurate and honest review by someone who's been there and done that. As im sure you can't expect to get the real picture from the actual dive shops or any other local business .. after all they are trying to make a living and in some cases would rather hide all the bad points, get your money and then let you find out after its too late .. i don't blame them for that ..we all tell white lies from time to time, its the same as the travel brochures .. they only show you the clean beaches full of snow white sand and crystal blue waters .. this represents the whole of thailand in some magazines, but those pictures dont tell you that most of the water is murky , a lot of the beaches are full of crap, theres so many unbrellas on them that you can't really see much of a beach or that you can't lay around for five minutes sunbathing without getting asked to buy something , but back to my point .. soi six for me is how i described it .. sure ...on a quiet day its not so bad , its the same as any other soi , .. however i cannot comment on the quality of any businesses down soi six as i have never directly dealt with any of them, but if you wish to know then you need only read these forums to find that out and make up your own minds,..

There are many bars around mermaids in jomtien too, but the road is wider here and also the bars are all on the same side of the road as the talay, enabling you to walk directly out of the talay, cross the road and walk to the mermaids shop without being anywhere near a bar, this is of course their new location ...the previous one is another story and im glad they moved :)

:

Believe me, it has little to do with the color of your skin or eyes..... of course, that is what many would like to believe; but I assure you, the bar girls are not interested in those things very much.

There is a Thai saying (Law maak, tha gin mai die.), which translates to, "Very Handsome, but Cannot Eat Them" and if you spend years in the Kingdom (and can speak and read Thai to actually understand what is going on), you will learn quickly that "fair skin, blue eyes... it seems to drive the Thai girls nuts" is not what is driving the girls nuts, I assure you :D

Nothing to do with skin / eye colour. If you have money in your pocket your fair game.:rofl3:

Ah, so they stopped hassling me around the same time I began to run out of money.

*epiphany* :brokenheart:

Ah, so they stopped hassling me around the same time I began to run out of money.

*epiphany* :brokenheart:

Well, it's not quite that simple..... (see footnote)

The (experienced) bar girls can tell if you are new to Thailand and are still at the stage "a kid in a candy store" or if you have a lot of experience and have moved to the "been there, done that, not interested" phase or on to the stage "don't waste my time making eye contact." These (overly simplified) phases tend to be directly related to how much money you are willing to part with, in their mind. (The girls tend to prefer "right off the plane for the first time" (generally also, "kid in a candy store"), because this is where the most money is made.)

I always tell my friends who still have that "kid in a candy store" perspective (most of them don't have that much time here), that "I wish I could think like you again" because this aspect of Thailand is one where less experience tends to result in more fun (like thinking your "fair skin and blue eyes" is so wonderful to the girls, or that we are really so "funny" or "charming"); and more experience tends to make people less interested (like when we realize that the social economic condition creates a situation where you are looked at as a walking ATM machine).

Admittedly, I preferred the "kid in a candy store" phase of many decades ago versus my current "it is so boring, don't even look at me" stage, but I can't seem to get it ("kid in a candy store" feeling) back :rofl3:

Of course, there is that often used Thai expression "Ru Maak".. which means "You know too much"..... and most all the girls tend to avoid the farangs who "Ru Maak", for obvious reasons, LOL. If I want to have a good time out, I tend to never speak Thai, because then I am not "Ru Maak", a much more fun person who is also "Jai Dee" ("good heart") which roughly translates to "willing to spend a lot of money" :)

Anyway, the food, the weather and the diving is great !!! Yea!

Footnote: If we are going to discuss the topic of Soi 6, Pattaya, bar girls and Thailand, let's create another thread dedicated to the topic. (Instead of hijacking the "how to finance the MMs internship thread".)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom