Caribbean Explorer II trip report Aug 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scared Silly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As I found only a few reviews I thought I would post up one.

We spent a week on the Caribbean Explorer II going from St. Kitts to Sint Maarten. The trips alternate directions each week. We took advantage of their Caribbean Free and Easy Pass ($300 off the trip, free Nitrox, $150 towards a hotel, $100 towards lounge passes) and made a last minute booking - three weeks out.

After arriving at the airport in St. Kitts we waited about 10 minutes for Percy to come get us (the taxi hailer called him for us as our flight was a bit early). He is their local driver who also does the land tour on St. Kitts. A nice guy who gave some history and information on St. Kitts as we drove down to the dock.

Once boarded we did the usual paper work, gear setup, and boat tour. There were eight divers on board that week so we had lots of room to spread out. We had a crew of six (captain, engr., purser, cook, two dive guides/instructors) plus the mysterious Mr. Smith in cabin 9. With a full boat of divers and crew the boat would be busy so we were happy to have the smaller number.

We spent the first three days diving around St. Kitts. The diving is shallower 40-60 feet typically around coral outcroppings with sandy or grassy bottoms. We found the diving to be quite nice. The visibility was a bit mucky but still good 60 feet or so. Lots of critters (neck crab, pike blenny, jaw fish). At one point during a night we were bouncing between a slipper lobster, crab, and a seahorse. Many rays but no other pelagic action. Most folks did four dives a day including a night dive, typically after dinner. Then, if you were lucky, you might catch a glimpse of the mysterious Mr. Smith in cabin 9.

We went on the St. Kitts land tour which was nice. We visited the fort, Brimestone Hill Fortress, as well as a former plantation, Romney Manor that is now home to Caribelle Batik where they do traditional fabric pattern dying (Caribelle Batik, St. Kitts).

After the night dive on Tuesday we crossed over to Saba. The three hour crossing went well enough and we slept through the last bit. The diving around Saba was good, not really any currents, though there can be. As the island is volcanic it was much more reef / wall like. One dive is along a long shelf that was good fun both in day and at night. We spent several dives around the large boulders that over time have rolled down into the ocean. Some pelagic action and lots of eels and arrow crabs.

We also did the land tour on Saba. Visiting a local church, lace and glass ornament artisans, as well as a bit of walking on the traditional paths. Lace from Saba is well known (Saba - Out & About - Arts & Crafts). The two islands are quite different from each other.

The last dive day consists of a before and after breakfast dive then the crossing over to Sint Maarten. We skipped the before breakfast dive as the dive site was just okay and then did the after breakfast dive. The three hour crossing over to Sint Maarten was a bit bouncier than to Saba. It did not go well for me as I was mucking about with my camera and I should have taken it easy. About an hour into the crossing I tossed my breakfast. We arrived into Sint Maarten around 1pm at which time the trip was done and folks started breaking down gear.

That afternoon we hung out on the boat while the crew did stuff. We did a walk about along the beach front. Mostly crap catering to the cruise ship industry as most shops were closed. The gelato shop though is worth while and they have cute dogs and a nice garden area. That evening a few of crew joined us at the Greenhouse for dinner. Or perhaps it was us that joined the crew as the crew gets a free meal. The next day we flew back to the states.

The nuts and bolts:

Accommodations: The cabins are comfortable each with their own head, not a lot of extra space. The water is one temperature hot and always plenty of it. They are air-conditioned.

Diving. Giant stride off the side and come up on the stern. Most dives were down the mooring (more on that below). Everyone checks in and out with max depth and remaining gas. Cylinders are filled immediately after a dive once the reg is off. Each day each person gets a towel in the morning. Except when doing a night dive then you get a warm towel and hot chocolate (and some Baileys).

Dive Deck: Each person has a station. Two showers on the dive deck plus a camera table. Rinse buckets for cameras, suits, and masks. I never used the mask bucket. Also there is an O2 sensor. We always bring our own as then no waiting - which there was some even with six other divers.

Food: Lots of it and all was good. Breakfast was hot or cold with lunch and dinner buffet. The shrimp burger was not to my liking and I was surprised to see beef stroganoff. I like it but others may not. The pancakes and waffles were a bit on the heavy side (I make my cakes light and fluffy). Otherwise wide assortment and one could always find something to their liking.

Drinks: Each person gets a glass for the week. If you lost it - no drinks for you!! (Just kidding). Always some lemonade and some soft drinks via a drink gun. Beer and wine was always cold or cool.

Salon/Sun Deck: The salon was semi enclosed with three table for the guests. Given there were only eight of us one of the crew ate with us each night. One night the mysterious Mr. Smith in cabin 9 joined us. The sun deck was just outside of the salon. Std. deck and lounge chairs.

Land tours: certainly worth while. Had I known how much down time we had on Sint Maarten I would have planned something for Friday afternoon as we had way too much time. There should be a third morning dive on Saba before the crossing.

Booking: quick replies and we were promptly credited for our overnight and lounge passes.

Overall a good trip and a trip I would recommend for divers of all levels. St. Kitts I thought is a hidden jewel in the Caribbean. I would go there again.

One item worth bringing up. After one dive I asked for debriefing as it did not quite go as the captain expected. The dive in question was at the Pinnacle where one goes "down the mooring" to about 80 feet where there is a large flat shelf, then one heads off towards the Pinnacle which the top of is at about 100 feet of water. The swim over to the pinnacle is semi blue water (about the time one loses the bottom the pinnacle appears). The dive when there are currents can be problematic as such using the mooring line can be essential.

In our briefing when the dive was described, the directions were to "go down the mooring line", we will check the currents there, and if safe will proceed. Similar to other dive briefings where there was little to no current and the mooring was more of a visual reference. The phrase "go down the mooring line" means different things to different people. Some will literally go down the line with their hand on it. Others will will be with in a few feet, others farther away. However, in this case our captain wanted the former (hand on the line) not the latter two. IIRC only one diver actually used the line, not our dive guide.

The captain was bothered by this dive because had there been a current or if a current had come up we could have been swept off the dive site - something that was not really mentioned during the dive briefing. After the dive we had a discussion as the captain was mentioning his concerns on the dive deck to other crew (not the guests but within ear shot). During the week the phrase "go down the mooring" had been used regularly with most just following it more or less with no problems. But now there were potential consequences.

In discussing this dive, I made the comment that we all interpret things slightly differently and that if we really need to do something differently that it needs to be emphasized accordingly. I.e. for this dive we really need each person to go down the mooring line with their hand on it until we know the currents at the bottom. Anything to emphasized the need accordingly. Especially, as the Pinnacle was the first dive on Saba after "easy" diving on St. Kitts.

It was a good discussion as I think both as crew and guests we can become complacent when doing and listening to a dive briefing. I.e. dive crew has done the dive lots so they know it and the guests, we are on vacation and just want to dive. I also think it would be worthy to emphasize that the diving in Saba is a little different then in St.Kitts, and that current can be more problematic due to the islands topography.

Thanks for the report. I was on the same boat 5 years ago St. Maarten to St. Kitts and will be going again in the same direction as you in mid-November. Glad to know it's still as good as I remembered. My favorite dives were at Saba with "Diamond Rock" being the one site that I hope we get to do at least twice (or more).

As an aside, 5 years ago I was with my Non-diving wife and there was no land tour of Saba at the time. We asked the Captain if it would be alright to swim to shore and he said: "Sure, go ahead." -- apparently not realizing that we were serious. When we got back after waving to everyone from the top of the stairs 1/2 way up the hill, the Captain was practically apoplectic that we'd gone ahead and done THAT.

Hey, we DID ask first!

I did the St. Maarten - St Kitts route this past March and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Good value and great diving. The crew that week were very safety conscious and the Captain was explicit and detailed in his daily briefings. Bottom line, though, and tactfully presented above is that each and every dive briefing is important.

It's a fun trip and Explorer Ventures are the peeps to do it with. When I went, we spent a day in Statia and that was the highlight of my trip. Hopefully they'll be able to add that in the future.

...We spent a week on the Caribbean Explorer II going from St. Kitts to Sint Maarten. The trips alternate directions each week. We took advantage of their Caribbean Free and Easy Pass ($300 off the trip, free Nitrox, $150 towards a hotel, $100 towards lounge passes) and made a last minute booking - three weeks out...

Thanks for the trip report, it made me smile and look up at the framed picture of Diamond Rock hanging on my study wall. It been a long time since we made that trip but it sounds like it hasn't changed much and is still a great experience.

We spent a few days on St. Marten (great fun!) and then got on the boat and crossed to St. Kitts. The crossing was rough and I was very seasick. We didn't stay long at St. Kitts because the conditions and vis were poor but we did enjoy touring the island. Then we moved on to Saba and the sea mount diving was beautiful, I remember a Saba shore excursion and meeting up for dinner with other passengers. When the boat was ready to depart Saba my husband and I got off and spent a few days on land before flying back to St. Marten. It was a memorable trip.

I often think the Caribbean Explorer's Saba itinerary is a bit overlooked and under-appreciated. This is often a more economical liveaboard and it is a very good trip.

I did this trip this spring and we had a lot of current. Several reef sharks on all of the Saba dives.
The divers were all competent enough to know when to do the hand over hand descent as opposed to staying close to the anchor line.
I actually enjoyed the dive at St Kitts more than Saba.
Several divers on my trip were doing two weeks back to back!

That being said, it's a good trip especially for the price point.

We're have a group going next June. Thanks for the report as it gives me something to look forward to.

Based on previous reviews here and the attractive price point, I've looked at this trip as my next Live-A-Board ... Just curious, are the same sites visited each week, or does the "direction" change things ???

Thanks in advance!
SSSSteve

---------- Post added December 6th, 2015 at 01:12 PM ----------

.... Most folks did four dives a day including a night dive, typically after dinner. ....

So is it correct to assume that 4 dives per day are offered Su ->Th and then the 2 on Friday morning ??

.... Then, if you were lucky, you might catch a glimpse of the mysterious Mr. Smith in cabin 9. ....

All those references the Mr Smith without paying it off... Really? (Or am I missing something?? :confused:)

Based on previous reviews here and the attractive price point, I've looked at this trip as my next Live-A-Board ... Just curious, are the same sites visited each week, or does the "direction" change things ???

Same sites are visited but they vary based on conditions.

So is it correct to assume that 4 dives per day are offered Su ->Th and then the 2 on Friday morning ??

Five dives per day are offered with one being a night dive. We tropically did the night dive after skipping the afternoon dive for land tour.

All those references the Mr Smith without paying it off... Really? (Or am I missing something?? :confused:)

You will have ask the crew :))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom