Caribbean Explorer - photo operations question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MN Lakeman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A question for those who have had trips with any of the the Explorer Ventures liveaboards: what exactly is their photo technology set up? I'll be soon diving on the Caribbean Explorer (used to be the Turks & Caicos Explorer), & I have a digital camera rig. Will I be able to use an on board PC to burn CD's from my camera card? According to their website it states: "Extensive array of professional audio/visual editing, dubbing and special effects systems" which implies I'll not only be able to copy to CD's (which I suppose I should bring an ample supply of), but use photo lab software to edit. Will this "service" cost extra? Is there more than one PC to use?

You know, that is an excellent question. I usually take my iBook with me to serve those functions, plus I can watch whatever DVD's I have on my hard drive while traveling.

If you don't an answer here, might I suggest that you write to the people at Explorer Ventures and ask them directly, if you haven't already.

MN Lakeman:
A question for those who have had trips with any of the the Explorer Ventures liveaboards: what exactly is their photo technology set up? I'll be soon diving on the Caribbean Explorer (used to be the Turks & Caicos Explorer), & I have a digital camera rig. Will I be able to use an on board PC to burn CD's from my camera card? According to their website it states: "Extensive array of professional audio/visual editing, dubbing and special effects systems" which implies I'll not only be able to copy to CD's (which I suppose I should bring an ample supply of), but use photo lab software to edit. Will this "service" cost extra? Is there more than one PC to use?

It's getting closer and closer - were on the first trip in the new area for the Explorer. I too take along a notebook computer to store and edit. As soon as I get back and settled, I'll write a trip report and include what's set up for photo.

NAIBDiver1

NAIBdiver1:
It's getting closer and closer - were on the first trip in the new area for the Explorer. I too take along a notebook computer to store and edit. As soon as I get back and settled, I'll write a trip report and include what's set up for photo.

NAIBDiver1

I noticed on one of your earlier posts, that you were taking off for this trip before me - I'll be eager to hear your report. I've considered buying a compact laptop just for this purpose - but hard to justify when I have 3 desktops all around the house (one equipt w/ lots of speed & memory to handle my Pinnacle Studio files). Have a great trip!

Have you considered one of those small portable hard drive storage units? Or if you have an iPod, you could get the CF adaptor for it.

Here are some examples. They cost way less than a loptop, weight less, and take up less space.

mn lakeman,
to answer your questions you need to contact:
sarah moody
800/322-3577
i'll be on the carribean explorer the week of july 16th.
i look forward to eveyone's trip report
regards,

Thanks for the responses - I checked out storage devices, & am very surprised how price has come down for amount of gig's you can store now - I'm really impressed w/ the 1st one listed on website mentioned, the PD7X (I have the cheapy Ipod shuffle - not near enough memory to adapt). I also called Sarah, & she did confirm CD burner equipted PC's are on board - but probably on the slow side. So I'll either get on board w/ a slu of RW CD's, or yet another electronic toy (my wife calls me a gadget geek).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom