Caribbean Family Beach/Dive Destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There aren't many beaches like SMB and Grace Bay.

My son and I did a land-based trip to T&C. We found the diving off West Caicos and French Cay to be superior to the diving in Grace Bay and Northwest Point. The trip out to West Caicos and French Cay is 45-60 minutes or a bit longer. We did 2 tank dives on 5 days and generally got back at 2:30-3:00. We did one 3 tanker and did not get back until 4:30-5:00. Diving takes a real chunk out of the day.

While I agree that I liked the West Caicos and French Cay dives more than Grace Bay, Grace Bay diving will likely suit the poster's requirements, especially if he felt that Lighthouse Point was some of the best diving he experienced on GC with the advantage of sharks likely on just about every dive.

We as a family are/were Curacao junkies, doing 3 trips in two years (with the 4th cancelled in the Pandemic). At first, it checked all the boxes when the daughter didn't want to just dive every day. Then it became dive, dive, dive, but still go explore (so 2 dives a day, each day, and do something else on the same day). We have done A/I resorts and "Apartments" (shop and cook on our own), renting a car to explore, and using a service (The Dive Bus) for shore based diving (daughter has a tendency to get sea sick).

I am in withdrawal currently as the Pandemic put us in a financial situation of no big travel which we are still climbing out of.

Can't wait to go back....

okay, this thread depressed me....

Curacao,
Does not have the broad expansive beaches of GC.

But...

Playa Porto Marie
PC230197.JPG

Really nice dive, nice enough for a double dip. Nice little restaurant/beach bar a little out of frame to left and back.

Many other spots that are very similar, many have dive shops on site so no need to lug tanks around.

I love the diving in both Cozumel and Curacao. Both are very different from eachother. Cozumel is diving is deeper drift diving with more of the mature and larger marine life. Curacao is gentle and easy diving with more emphasis on the small critters. Odds are favorable if looking for turtles and eels, but rare on sharks. For beaches, Curacao hands down.

Cas Abou
Copy of Cur Jan10 (24).JPG

Which way do you recommend to go if $$ isn't a big deal (within reason)?

Doesn't this take away from time diving?
Eating out is both costly, and tends to be gluttonous...

2 (maybe 3) dives a day at over an hour each if quality dives is fine for me....

Eating out is both costly, and tends to be gluttonous...
I meant A/I resort vs. you shopping and cooking in. I don't like to go out to eat too many times, one or twice for something/somewhere special is all I need at the most.

You don't find going out shopping for food and cooking in the apartment takes away too much time from diving? (I suppose 2 - 3 dives a day isn't a big deal if you do).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom