Caribbean Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So are there any operators you've dove with in the Caribbean who've been respectful to divers who want to dive solo? I've had good experiences in Bonaire, but bad ones everywhere else. I've contacted a few places over the internet, and I tend one of two lines...either "Don't worry, there's no need to solo dive. We'll buddy you up with someone." or "You are a danger to yourself and those around you." Grand Cayman was the worst I've experienced.

Tom

"You are a danger to yourself and those around you."
LOL... How can you be a danger to "those around you" if you're diving solo...??? :shakehead:

In my experience, most places won't commit to "allowing" you to solo dive until they have seen you in the water. When my wife and I travel south, she often does fewer dives than I do, but after a few days, the DMs are pretty laid back. On a recent trip to Turneffe, she had some ear problems and missed the last half of the week, and they never made any attempt to buddy me up. The subject never even came up. She and I had pretty much been on our own all week anyway.

I think you will have better luck with smaller dive ops as well...

Last March I was at Divi in Bonaire. When I checked in I showed my SDI Solo Cert. card and was allowed to dive solo on their boats. When I was shore diving from their pier, I checked in and out with the dive shop. They seemed to appreciate that.

I carried a fully redundant air bottle/reg. A small pony bottle attached to my BC tank bands. I didn't go very deep. Maybe 50' max.

No problems or issues with Divi Dive.

When we were in Dominica (March, 2010) my wife and I dove with Al Dive (south) and Cabrits (north.) Just in case my wife didn't want to do a dive, I brought my SDI solo card and both operators said that they had no problems with me going solo.

We did all the dives together so I didn't do go solo.

We're going back to bonaire in 2011 and I know Wannadive allows solo diving, as we dove using their equipment in 2009 and (at that time) said that how I dive was my responsibility (meaning solo.)

LOL... How can you be a danger to "those around you" if you're diving solo...??? :shakehead:

I dunno. Maybe they're worried I'll teach the fish dangerous habits :)

I dove solo with the Peter Hughes live aboard in Belize, I wasnt the only one, Harbor Village in Bonaire and Reef House in Roatan.

I have been to Bonaire 3 times in the last year and everytime there was nothing to indicate they would have a problem with solo diving. I just got back from Key Largo and was permitted by the captain to dive the Spiegal Grove solo. I gave a strict dive plan to him and followed it to the letter. He appreciated the way I did this. Came up 1 minute early :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom