Caribbean Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go Deep

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We're thinking about a vacation in July. I dive but my wife does not. The optimal choice would include:

- Beach on the property, with palapas
- Mid-range luxury ($300 US or less per night)
- Close to town (walking distance) with shopping, restaurants
- Activities for non-diver (hiking, biking, beach, tours, ruins, ziplines, tubing etc.)
- Good diving nearby, prefer boat dives (can't dive alone from the beach).

We've been to Playa Del Carmen (Gran Porto Real) and that was nearly ideal. But the diving is not the best and since we've already been there we'd like to try something else. (Yes, I did dive the cenotes).

We've been to Cozumel. While the diving there is great, most hotels are not near the good beaches and there are not many non-diver activities.

We've already been to Aruba and Bermuda. They're OK but we don't feel the need to go back.

We're thinking about the Pheonix in Belize. But I'm wondering about the beaches/palapas. Also, the 1 hour ferry to/from the mainland makes non-diver activities difficult for an afternoon excursion (after morning diving :)

Any suggestions or comments?

Seven Mile Beach on Grand Cayman has a lot of what you're looking for. It is a really nice stretch of white sandy beach that many of the resorts front. Behind them in some areas there's shops and restaurants in all price ranges in that area also. Other areas are more residential. It's been a few years so I can't remember where although I do recall there was some sort of shopping near the Ritz. More shops are a few mile drive to downtown Georgetown.

No palapas that I've seen - it's British. But the Marriott Grand does have big red beach umbrellas...lol.

The diving is outstanding - as good as or better than Cozumel. Nearby off the North Wall it's much more dramatic also. There's diving off SMB but too far to swim out. Some diveops pick up off the beach, others are a short ride to a nearby marina. Almost all of them have free shuttles that pick up at/near most hotel lobby areas.

Other activities - besides most watersports - there's hiking, caving, a butterfly farm, a waterpark etc. details here: Cayman Islands - Travel and Tourism Site

Unfortunately, in my experience, many of your best dive sites just don't have the big beautiful white sandy beaches within walking distance to all the amenities you're looking for. But you probably discovered that in Cozumel. You get the "big beach" resorts on the southern end, but you're a taxi ride from town and there's no forest to go zip lining through.

However, if you can do with a small, clean private beach (with palapas), at resort well within your price range, 10-20 minute boat rides to great diving, two blocks from a quaint little town with restaurants and shopping, plus the excursions you mentioned you might want look at Ramons Village on Ambregis Caye in Belize. It's one block from the tiny airport and two blocks from the village of San Pedro. You have to fly into Belize City and take a little puddle jumper to the caye, but once you're there you will find what you're asking for. Take a look at Ambregis Caye, San Pedro, the resorts and Ramon's Village on the internet. "Belize" is actually my favorite place to dive for exactly the reasons you mention above.

We're thinking about a vacation in July. I dive but my wife does not. The optimal choice would include:

- Beach on the property, with palapas
- Mid-range luxury ($300 US or less per night)
- Close to town (walking distance) with shopping, restaurants
- Activities for non-diver (hiking, biking, beach, tours, ruins, ziplines, tubing etc.)
- Good diving nearby, prefer boat dives (can't dive alone from the beach).

We've been to Playa Del Carmen (Gran Porto Real) and that was nearly ideal. But the diving is not the best and since we've already been there we'd like to try something else. (Yes, I did dive the cenotes).

Of the places I have been to, St Lucia or Dominica might fit your bill. Not too many beaches in Dominica though. Dominican Republic would also work - although the diving is not as good, it is very cheap and easy to get to.

Visiting Puerto Rico for the first time. Came to San Juan for a wedding.
I got a chance to get a couple of dives in with Taz from AQUATIC ADVENTURES on the island of Culebra Puerto Rico.
My wife and I were very happy with the diving off of Culebra. We have been to many dive destination around the world and were pleased with are experience. We are defiantly cumming back to Culebra to dive. Would not hesitate recommending this Island for a quick and easy dive trip from the Us Mainland. Just need you drivers license no passport. It has one of the top ten beaches in the world. A great place to get away.
Just make sure you ck on the ferry it is some time hard to get there on the week end if your not at dock early to get a ticket. Ferry ride over is 2.50 and Taz with his dive boat picks you up right at the ferry dock.
Thank you Taz for a great dive
Jack and Judy
AQUATIC ADVENTURES 787-209-3494
Email - tazhamrick@hotmail.com in Culebra.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom