Carnival Valor Oct '09 - Roatan Dive Info Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Bluewater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello -

I'm trying to figure out the best plan of attack for a Roatan dive experience. I'll be stopping by in Oct 09 with the Carnival Valor.

Here is what I have so far:
1. Dive with the cruise ship - 2 tank @ Anthony's Key.
2. Shore Dives at Coco View.
3. Boat Dives with
Bananarama.

My questions are:
1. Could you please provide any and all pros / cons.

2. Out of the 3 choices, is there a hands down "winner" based on their location and sites normally visited ?

I'm a novice diver with less than 25 total dives, so I'm not looking for anything fancy. I just like to blow bubbles, see the pretty fish and coral. Deep or shallow - doesn't matter to me, I've done 30 ft to 130ft. I also like a slower paced dive where I can actually take my time and look around a bit, I also like to take photos. I absolutely would like a DM on hand as a guide.

Counting down the days to the blue waters of the Caribbean.....
Thanks.

Hello -

I'm trying to figure out the best plan of attack for a Roatan dive experience. I'll be stopping by in Oct 09 with the Carnival Valor.

3. Boat Dives with
Bananarama.

My questions are:

2. Out of the 3 choices, is there a hands down "winner" based on their location and sites normally visited ?

I'm a novice diver with less than 25 total dives, so I'm not looking for anything fancy. I just like to blow bubbles, see the pretty fish and coral. Deep or shallow - doesn't matter to me, I've done 30 ft to 130ft. I also like a slower paced dive where I can actually take my time and look around a bit, I also like to take photos. I absolutely would like a DM on hand as a guide.

Thanks.

If you want "slow" forget the ship dives. Even if the DM doesn't go fast, you're limited by the SAC rate of brand new divers. If you want "really slow" you might need to hire your own boat and DM.

Can't help with the shore dives, since I've never done any there.

Terry

I have used Bananarama the last time I took the ship to Roatan. I travelled on the Valor in June '09 and did a brief stop at Roatan. I chose Bananarama because of the friendly DM's and quick response to my queries. You can send Mal a quick e-mail and he is always good to respond back.

The problem is always your time on the Island and arrival. You arrive mid day and between most dive schedules of the majority of the operators on the Island. So you have to make sure you arrange a 2 tank dive early. So for this make arrangements by calling the shop. I did and received a pick-up outside of the ship and was driven to the resort and back in time. The beach outside of the resort (West Bay) is spectacular and the family can lounge there while you dive, which is what I did. I believe the ship uses AKR and can not comment how they run their operation as I have never used them. I do know that you are given ample time on each dive with Bananarama with easy diving right outside of the resort. Shoot me a PM if you need more specific information.

Best of luck.

Hello -

3. Boat Dives with
Bananarama.

My questions are:

Thanks.

I have dove with AKR, they are a pretty good shore excursion, you will get your moneys worth. You can expect and 80 foot deep drift dive followed by a shallower reef dive. Good dives, bring a camera (if you have one), if you dive with Frank (wears a baseball cap underwater) on of the DM's stay close to him and he will point out some cool stuff.

Your first dives in Roatan, stay with the ships dive.

Joe

I am also cruising on the Valor (the last week of October), and have booked the following:

1. Grand Cayman - Eden Rock
2. Roatan - Booked the cruise dive package so that I can exp. Anthony's Key
3. Belize - Sitting out on this one. Requires some boat time to get to locations.
4. Cozumel - Scuba with Alison

The Roatan arrival time is going to be the problem, at least for the cruise I am on. We arrive too late to for the AM dives, which leaves afternoon dives my only option. I opted to book the cruise dive since it is with AK.

Hope that helps.

Thanks to everyone who responded !

I decided to go with the 2 tank boat dive with Bananarama and booked a private dive master as my buddy. This will pretty much cover my day in Roatan - Diving and hanging out at the Bananarama beach until it's time to go back to the ship.
2Bluewater

Make sure you let us know how things went. Also Malcforrest is one of the managers at Bananarama make sure you try and PM him beforehand if possible.
Best of luck

2BlueWater - How did the trip go? I am going on this cruise again this October and was curious how it went with Bananarama. Anthony Keys did a decent job for us last year, although I would have preferred a smaller group, hence my interest in Bananarama.

Hi cbpraigg,

Bananarama was a great choice ! :D We had 4 people from the Valor who signed up, so it was like we had our own private boat. The Bananarama beach and restaurant is a nice place to hang out as well.

Back
Top Bottom