carribean scuba diving sites advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanorm

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Folks! Looking for advice for good diving locations in the Caribbean, any recommendations? Would like to dive in the Carribean this winter.

Thanks for the reply, any recommendatioons for a country? Thinking of Key West, Puerto Rico or US Virgin Islands....
scubanorm

Thanks for the reply, any recommendatioons for a country? Thinking of Key West, Puerto Rico or US Virgin Islands....
scubanorm

Those are all technically the same country...

I'd certainly pick the USVI over Puerto Rico, but I have no experience of Key West. But Key West is probably a lot cheaper and more accessible.

Depending on your comfort and experience, Bonaire is another option as are the lesser Caymans (Little and Brac). Curacao is an option similar to Bonaire. The diving was not outstanding IMO in DR but it is typically a cheap vacation spot if that is a consideration.

I have dove Puerto Rico out of Fajardo and thought it was decent diving. I also did a day of diving in St. Thomas and was not at all impressed.....but I am sure they just picked crappy sites because I was on a cruise. Key West.....I would love to dive the Keys but have no experience there.

For me, the best Caribbean diving so far has been Bonaire because of the freedom. It is unlimited and unguided shore diving with reef no more than 100'-200' offshore in most places and usually starting in about 30'-40' of water. This is just my preference though.

Just dove in Cozumel last month. Beautiful reef and the Santa Rosa Wall is something to see! Warm water & good viz too! Spotted a large eagle ray and tiny seahorses along with many other fish, coral, sponges, etc.

Key Largo is also a great place to dive as there are numerous reefs and wrecks.

A great dive place for beginner(I noticed you are not certified and have no logged dives) is Stuart Cove. They have a great staff, very attentive and the currents are light and there is a lot to see fairly shallow.

We are new at diving as well, and really like that location. Its on Nassau.

There are some good deals with SC and local hotels that make it pretty affordable too!

If you want the long boring advice then:
  • Decide what you want out of your holiday: just diving, or other stuff too? If it is just diving certain options (Bonaire) look better, but you might be bored if you want to do other stuff too. Especially important if you have a non-diving spouse.
  • Decide how far you want to travel - don't just look at miles distant, judge by airline connections. Florida is easy to get to; if you want to come to the British Virgin Islands you need to change plans at least twice.
  • Think about how much you would like to spend. Dominican Republic, very very cheap - Cayman Islands, very expensive. Lots of choices in between.
  • When do you want to travel? Some destinations (esp in the hurricane belt) are very seasonal. Conversely, if you travel out of season you can get great deals and uncrowded dive boats.
If I had the choice of anywhere in the Caribbean tomorrow, I would go to Bonaire. Cheap, and nothing to do but dive (suits me). It is a bear to get there from where I am, but probably easier from the US.

My wife and I dove the East End of Grand Cayman last summer and loved it so much, we're going back this year.
The diving is spectacular, and the EE is very relaxing.
Go to the regional forums. You will find lots of discussion about this topic.

Have a great time wherever you decide to go.

Back
Top Bottom