Carry-on Camera Bag Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daebado

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, my kit keeps growing and looks like that is going to continue a little while longer. I have pretty much outgrown my current LowePro bag and need to get something larger but I want to make sure I can still carry it on with me when travelling.

Seems like most bags I look at don't really consider underwater diving and the type of gear we carry... especially that two-handled tray and the strobe arms and floats! I'm currently using two video lights but will want to add strobes soon. And of course, add in my two gopro's and it gets crowded fast!!

I really don't want to have to completely disassemble everything on my rig if possible but I know I'll have to take a lot of it apart. So what do you guys use to transport your gear when you have to fly? I know there are a lot of rigs out there bigger than what I'm using.

I have stopped the use of conventional camera bags, some years ago, since their labeling and familiar shape, simply scream, "steal me," to light-fingered luggage handlers -- especially in the stickier parts of the world; and my insurance company now loves me for it.

I had received an otherwise thoughtful Christmas gift of a large camera bag, with the exception of a massive Nikon logo embroidered in 72 point font. I once packed it with batteries, some spare clothing, and it disappeared along with those socks, flip-flops, and my prized "F**k you, you F***king F***k!" t-shirt (exclusively for wrapping odd camera gear) from my nephew, while traveling through the notorious Bermuda Triangle of "missing" luggage, San Juan International in Puerto Rico.

Instead, I have been using soft-sided, heavily-padded coolers from Polar Bear (https://www.polarbearcoolers.com), which we originally used for transporting live specimens; and am able to carry two sizable SLR housings (dependent upon their size), along with accessories, in their largest models. I also use them for soaking the cameras between dives, since they are water-tight and meant for carrying ice. Polar Bear frequently have great two-for-one sales; and the bags can be either monogramed or with a full address, if that's to your taste.

Since the coolers are essentially open with no partitions, I have either wrapped items in towels; or attached adhesive velcro strips to create them, along with the old velcro-lined, padded partitions from my now-defunct camera bags . . .

So, you guys check your camera gear? I'm not so worried about theft as I carry my camera bag on and other than being in the overhead compartment, it stays with me.

Some of the bags I have been looking at just look like backpacks so I don't think they really scream "camera gear inside!" They have the bag manufacturer's logo but they are not camera manufacturer's so, pretty generic really.

Here is an example of one: Endurax Large Camera DSLR/SLR Backpack for Outdoor Hiking Trekking with 15.6 Laptop Compartment

I wouldn't have the tripod attached as I don't take large tripods on dive trips so that would help to not give away what's inside I think. I'm just afraid that this bag is right on the edge of being too large to be a carry-on in some airports. Depends on how strict they are.

No, I carry mine on. I put it at my feet as my "personal item".

Then I use it to take my camera on the boat. Offers padding and protection there.

Then I fill it with water and use it as my dunk tank.

Then, occasionally when I'm not diving, I fill it with ice and drinks.

So, you guys check your camera gear? I'm not so worried about theft as I carry my camera bag on and other than being in the overhead compartment, it stays with me.

Most of mine are carry-on; but airlines have become far more restrictive in recent years, especially in Asia. There is always a bit of overflow and some calculated risk nowadays. Get a decent equipment-specific insurance policy . . .

I've shared these pics before in another thread. I use a maximum sized hardshell carry on and minimal foam and cloth wrap around the components. Batteries, cables and chargers go in a second 'personal item' sized hardshell. Thankfully my preferred airlines don't weigh carry-ons. Taking it apart is really the only way to maximize space usage. Not that big of a deal, takes about 5 minutes to reassemble. I manage to get the full rig, two sets of batteries, laptop, lenses, mask and my regulators in the two bags.

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

I've shared these pics before in another thread. I use a maximum sized hardshell carry on and minimal foam and cloth wrap around the components. Batteries, cables and chargers go in a second 'personal item' sized hardshell. Thankfully my preferred airlines don't weigh carry-ons. Taking it apart is really the only way to maximize space usage. Not that big of a deal, takes about 5 minutes to reassemble. I manage to get the full rig, two sets of batteries, laptop, lenses, mask and my regulators in the two bags.

I was really hoping for a large housing and not the pocket-sized Instamatic that you posted . . .

Thanks Dan, that's not a bad idea but I really think I need a backpack as between the wife and I, we already cruise the airports with 4 rollers and I don't think I want to try and juggle 5!

As a side note and a bit off topic, that's a really nice rig you have there! I really like the way you have your video lights attached right next to your strobes. I may steal that idea when I finally get a strobe! Looks like you have the same Big Blue video lights I'm using on my rig. I really like those lights. And, is that a really small video camera in the middle or is that a focus light? Looks more like a camera lens to me but I'm not for sure. Also, the carbon fiber float arms are a nice touch. I use a combination of the large and small Stix floats on all of my arms but the smaller floats don't like to stay in place so I'm wanting to go with actual float arms instead. Are those 8"? Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks Dan, that's not a bad idea but I really think I need a backpack as between the wife and I, we already cruise the airports with 4 rollers and I don't think I want to try and juggle 5!

As a side note and a bit off topic, that's a really nice rig you have there! I really like the way you have your video lights attached right next to your strobes. I may steal that idea when I finally get a strobe! Looks like you have the same Big Blue video lights I'm using on my rig. I really like those lights. And, is that a really small video camera in the middle or is that a focus light? Looks more like a camera lens to me but I'm not for sure. Also, the carbon fiber float arms are a nice touch. I use a combination of the large and small Stix floats on all of my arms but the smaller floats don't like to stay in place so I'm wanting to go with actual float arms instead. Are those 8"? Sorry for all the questions!

The lights are the BB Video 3500 lights, great light maker.
Its a Paralenz video camera mounted on the cold shoe. does up to 4k
Those are 8" float arms from Seafrog, the same mfg as the housing (a6xxx)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom