Carry On Only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dianna912

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We will be traveling to Vietnam, Cambodia, and then to Thailand for a week on a Simalan liveaboard. We are dead set on bringing our own BCDs, masks and Regs. We are contemplating wetsuits and fins but only if we can figure out how to do carry on only. With 8 segments of flights total, we want to keep ourselves lighter and not have to go through the hassle of checked bags.

We both have fairly compact BCDs. One thing that always irks me are the darn mask boxes. They are just big. I am looking at more of a soft shell case that is a little less rigid, and is more shaped to the mask, so maybe that will help.

Both BCDs and my husband’s camera probe fit in our roller suitcase. There is some dead space to squeeze small stuff in.

Our original plan was to just rent fins, but I read about some folks strapping them on their bag. Does anyone successfully do this regularly? We also considered renting wetsuits but hubby is waivering now because he really likes his new one.

And lastly, regs and masks need a place to go along with personal clothes and such.

Any tips/tricks?

Remember that most airlines will allow a personal item as well so make sure to use your space in that as well. I can often fit my electronics, mask and regs into the personal item bag to save room in the regular carry on

Sounds like 8 pounds of poop in a 5# bag.

No, make that 12 pounds of poop.

I travel with a BP/W, Shorty wetsuit+ vest, and Force Fins plus normal dive stuff, two pairs of shorts, three tee shirts, toiletries and electronic support stuff and whatever extra will fit in small carry on plus personal item. Shorts and tee shirts quick dry synthetics. Not a big deal. No UW camera except minimal GoPro. Plus what I'm wearing, including a hoodie. My Atomic frameless mask box is pretty small and does double duty as my boat stuff box.

I clip my fins to the outside of my backpack with a carabiner. Never had an issue. In fact last time I had fins, mask and a two fly rods all clipped to the outside of my backpack. No problems.

I clip my fins to the outside of my backpack with a carabiner. Never had an issue. In fact last time I had fins, mask and a two fly rods all clipped to the outside of my backpack. No problems.
Having worked in the airport bag room and loading/unloading bags in the airplane's belly I have to tell you you're a lucky man.

I've read more than once that some people wear their BC onto the plane, though I've never seen it. It's amazing you can go a week with just a carry on!
I recently read on SB that someone was prohibited from taking their motorcycle helmet on, but put it on their head and it was allowed, though they didn't like it.....

I've read more than once that some people wear their BC onto the plane, though I've never seen it. It's amazing you can go a week with just a carry on!

Can confirm.
Not done it myself, but I know a guy who wore his full motorcycle outfit with boots, leathers helmet etc with no problem.
He did have an uncomfortable flight though :D
So as a last resort you could always choose to wear your BCD, and once on the plane you can toss them in the storage above your seats.

We will be traveling to Vietnam, Cambodia, and then to Thailand for a week on a Simalan liveaboard. We are dead set on bringing our own BCDs, masks and Regs. We are contemplating wetsuits and fins but only if we can figure out how to do carry on only. With 8 segments of flights total, we want to keep ourselves lighter and not have to go through the hassle of checked bags.

Well, you can do it, remember though that that stuff is heavy and you'll be lugging your bag through on all the segments.

Check carry on policy for every segment, there are weight restrictions that will trip you up on some flights outside the usa.

You also have to be prepared for the possibility that you may have to check your bag for whatever reason, so you want to think that through.

We both have fairly compact BCDs. One thing that always irks me are the darn mask boxes. They are just big. I am looking at more of a soft shell case that is a little less rigid, and is more shaped to the mask, so maybe that will help.

I don't use a mask box, at all. I have a mesh bag for my mask. Yes, they can break, you have to be careful how you pack.

Our original plan was to just rent fins, but I read about some folks strapping them on their bag. Does anyone successfully do this regularly? We also considered renting wetsuits but hubby is waivering now because he really likes his new one.

I've lashed them down onto my BC (which forms my carry-on). WIth effort and enough cord I can get it down to the size limit.

Any tips/tricks?

I made a bag that attaches to the backplate of my BC that is sized to just meet the carry on limits and has mesh panels so everything drys, and compartments so I can keep things organized. I can put enough gear for a day of diving in that with a small amount of room left, and lash my fins on the back. Then I use the straps and to carry it like a backpack. Works great for cruise ships and other situations where I have to carry my gear a long way but don't need tanks.

The Aeris/Oceanic Jetpack is a similar commercial system, one that I would consider if I were going to do a lot of tropical diving.

This video from AquaLung gives you an idea of what can be done. I’ve seen the roller bag featured in the video at my dive shop and it’s pretty small. If I traveled to dive, I’d definite give it a try.

Travel Light

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom