Carrying a bcd and cylinder by the first stage

How do you feel about other people carrying your bcd/cylinder pre-dive when loading a van/boat/etc?

• Anyone can carry my stuff, I'm not worried.

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • It's fine, they can do that if they work in the dive center because I trust them.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I only allow a few select people I trust to grab my gear.

Votes: 27 45.8%
  • Touch my stuff and you'll be visiting the bottom of the Mariana Trench in a speedo!

Votes: 17 28.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving sidemount in cave country, tanks get moved around and carried with regs attached all the time. I would NEVER pick up or move a tank grabbing only the first stage. I actually take care to minimize any contact with it.

Aside from not being designed to be a load bearing connection, the DIN fitting is threaded into the reg housing with a fairly low torque setting. A common problem I have witnessed is allowing the first stage to rotate, counter clockwise during set up, loosening that DIN connection leading to a leak of that internal HP o-ring.

This is just one reason I prefer crew to NOT touch my gear..

Personally I make a point of not assembling my gear until I am gearing up ready to go for shore dives. On a boat, it gets assembled in the rack and put back by me.

One reason for assembling it on the shore is that quite often there are poor paths leading from the parking to the dive site. Do I want all my gear weight on my back in one trip so that if I fall I have it all twisting me? Better to shift it in parts and minimise the weight and potential damage from any slips, trips etc.

When I do lift it it is by the tank valve not the first stage and supported by a second hand if required.

Shore assembly is fine unless there is sand ANYWHERE around. I learned that lesson years ago with a $100 reg repair.

Interesting discussion.

Anyone experienced an event that leads them to believe a 1st stage or the handler might be hurt by carrying a tank that way?

My thinking and experience is they are designed strong enough the forces and wear from lifting is insignificant.

I don't like unknown people handling my equipment. Too easy to drop a tank on a reg or pinch a hose. I like no one to blame but myself.

Regards,
Cameron

Hello OP,

I hear ya!

I don't have Din, so the issue is a little different, but just the same anyway. I cringe when I see someone carrying a rig by the first stage.

Your beef is a small factor of a bigger issue. Why do people let anyone mess with their life support system? I don't like anyone touching my gear--helping me shift things or checking the open/closed position on the valve is one thing, but nothing else. Except for hauling tanks, leave my crap alone.

When boat diving, I don't let the crew take care of my gear. You know, my regs, my BC, fins and mask. I haul it, I rinse it, and I prep it for the next dive.

When using my own tanks, I set-up my BC at home or in the car before I walk to the boat. I throw it on my back as it is worn in the water and walk onboard the vessel. My BC has a handle. I carry my BC by the handle when it is not being carried on my back.

Nobody but me knows how to position the tank so that I am neutral. Your tank is your biggest and heaviest item that you dive with. Its position on your back can make you trim or wildly out-of-trim. No dickhand knows where to position it for me.

I have had several deckhands try to reconfigure my gear after I had set-up my kit. They were politely told to leave my sheit alone.

Nice thread,

markm

Back
Top Bottom