Catalina Al 80 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8dust

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, old to diving, but new to this board!

Question-

Have been diving two 6351 AL 80's for many years, now the local shop doesn't want to fill any more :(

I would much prefer to spend money with local people, but I'm broke broke broke, so...
although it would be wonderful to have a Steel 140, agiain, I don't have any money, and am looking for one replacement AL 80 (6061) for the moment to keep things going.

Saw these Catalina bottels on JDA for only $125 + $15 shipping. I do not believe they come with a valve for that price, but my curent valves are fine and I would just reuse.

Best local guy can do is $150 for a used one....

Is there anything I should know about about the Catalina AL tanks???

Anyone have a bad experience???

My old bottels are Luxfer and I haddn't heard of Catilina, but I haven't bought any new gear in a LONG time.

thanks in advance, 8dust

Compared to a Luxfer AL80 the Catalina will be a little tail heavy. Quality wise they are as good as it gets.

Pete

I just bought a used Catalina for $60 this past weekend with a hydro/viz done in May 2009. I paid $110 for NEW (2 Luxfer & 4 Hy-Mark) tanks and valves from one of my LDSs back in May. I would keep looking for a better deal, they are out there but sometimes hard to find. Quality wise, no issues with the Luxfers, Hy-Marks or the Catalina.

some shops that don't fill 6351T alloy (Luxfer) won't fill any tanks that are 20 years old or older.

it appears they can read they initial hydro date, but have yet achieved the reading skills to tell the difference between Luxfer and Catalina stamped on the tank. :shakehead:

so they ball all tanks together and just say they won't fill tanks older than 20 years old. FYI that you might run into this.

Hey, old to diving, but new to this board!
Question-
Have been diving two 6351 AL 80's for many years, now the local shop doesn't want to fill any more :(
Best local guy can do is $150 for a used one....
Is there anything I should know about about the Catalina AL tanks???
thanks in advance, 8dust
$150 for a basic used AL 80 is about twice what it's actually worth.
Give Piranha Dive Mfg. a call and see what they can do for you on their price. Don't be shy, negotiate. I'll suggest the brushed, no coat finish.
Compared to a Luxfer AL80 the Catalina will be a little tail heavy. Quality wise they are as good as it gets.
Pete
As single tanks, the difference is barely perceptible and as doubles, many folks using Luxfers require a tail weight to keep things in trim near the end of a dive.

JDA = Joe Diver America online store. I have seen some negative feedback, but they've done what I asked for the 2 things I bought recently.

150 was for a single used AL 80 w/ valve from my local guy. Yes, seemed REAL high.

125 was for a new AL 80 w/o valve, I think, from online store. shipping was only 15.00, which is half what most other places want.

Generally, not a huge fan of what used to be called "mail order" but it seems like that is the way a lot of people shop these days. Can't beat the selection, if the shipping costs aren't too high.

Unfortunately, not a lot of used equipment sales in my area compared to a place like FL.

Thanks for the responses, 8

Leisurepro is selling Catalina AL80s for $140, including valve, with $23 shipping.

The used tank market seems to really vary from place to place. $125 for a new one seems pretty good. Don't forget the vis and some possible BS from your LDS when you bring in a tank bought online. There could be a sudden problem with your valve, maybe a new burst disc for $20, who knows. They'll think of something!

How you would go from diving AL80s to steel 140s I have no idea. Has it occurred to you to try something in the middle, like a LP95 or HP100? If you're looking to save some bucks and your local dives are shallow (or you're excellent on air) look for a LP72. You might find one for $20, get a hydro and vis for another $30 and you've got a very nice little tank.

$As single tanks, the difference is barely perceptible and as doubles, many folks using Luxfers require a tail weight to keep things in trim near the end of a dive.

Yes they are different, you made my case.

I happen to have one of each but generally dive an HP80. Since the HP80 is a stout cylinder the center of gravity change with my Catalina is very noticeable. The Luxfer just bumps my butt.

For a diver planning to buy one to build a configuration around it will just be a transparent part of that configuration. Them again if one happens to have floaty feet, (like many gals) the Catalina would be favorable.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom