catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquasport

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am going to socal in july want to dive catalina, would like any input on this , water temp, vis, can a new diver with 50 dives logged dive ok there? Also can anyone recommend a dive op.

aquasport:
I am going to socal in july want to dive catalina, would like any input on this , water temp, vis, can a new diver with 50 dives logged dive ok there? Also can anyone recommend a dive op.

Come on down the water is fine. Expect water temps in the 60s F. Summer vis is usually less than winter but you may get 30 feet, or 10 or 15 depending on the site and conditions that day. Catalina offers everything from beginner (many students are trained there) to advanced diving. I did my 3 & 4th dive of my certification there. You can shore dive at the park (Avalon) or boat dive all over Catalina. You will have a great time.

Depending on prevailing conditions, July water temps on Catalina can be mid to upper 60's. Plankton blooms are still common so vis can be 15-20 feet during them, or higher (30-40 ft) if conditions are more favorable.

You can dive Catalina off dive boats that depart from the mainland, or visit the island and dive the park. SCUBA Luv and Catalina Divers Supply are the two main dive ops here. Do a google search for their web sites.

If you are coming on a weekend, hotel rooms may be hard to find since that is our busy season. Weekdays are generally OK, but I'd make advanced reservations just in case.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom