Cataract surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea nmf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, I'm having a cataract removed on Monday. (unusual for my age, I know)

I was just reading the paperwork and it said I could resume diving FOUR WEEKS after surgery.

Has anyone had this done? Did you wait the full 4 weeks?

I had to have a lense implant after I had a stick go in my eye. I don't remember how long I stayed out of the water, I think only until the incisions were healed. If it makes you feel better, I just had abdominal surgery 3 weeks ago and can't dive for 6 full weeks.

I was just reading the paperwork and it said I could resume diving FOUR WEEKS after surgery.

I just had cataract surgery in both eyes. The doctor found aggressive cataracts in both eyes and at 51 very unusual. I went from 20/15 with glasses to barely able to see the big E and the two letters below that in less than three years. I had the first eye done on Feb. 4th and the second two weeks later on Feb. 18th.

After 40 years of wearing glasses I now have 20/15 in each eye and 20/10 using both eyes. I have finally been able to order some good sunglasses.

My optomologist said four to six weeks initally and then after reading some more felt that was too early. He recommended no diving for three months to avoid any problems with pressure related injuries. And he is also a diver. So on May 17-18 I will have about a dozen students I be certifying at Lake DeGray.

The only drawback to my new eyes is that I now have to use reading glasses which is nothing compared to what I would have been facing if the surgery had been unsuccessful.

After your surgery you will find colors much brighter and details more crisp.

Good luck on your surgery.

Wow! Three months! That's the best shore diving around here. But you only have one set of eyes, if you are one of the lucky ones.

Thanks for your answer. I'm only getting one eye done. We are talking about mono-vision so I can avoid reading glasses.

Just checking how did the surgery go?

The surgery went fine. My brain is still trying to adjust to the lens, though. Flashes of white light, headache, etc. I guess it takes a couple of days. The dr. said all looks like it's supposed to for now.

It feels like my eyes are permanently dialated because everything is so bright now.

I recently had Lasik done (obviously not the same as cataract). The suggestions ranged from staying out of the water for 2 weeks up to 4 weeks. I waited 5 weeks and here's why: You only have two eyes, and if you do something to hinder the healing of your surgery, you may permanently damage your vision or cause other side effects. I love to dive, but my eyesight was not worth the risk to me. Take the risk you feel comfortable with.

I just had cataract surgery in both eyes. The doctor found aggressive cataracts in both eyes and at 51 very unusual. I went from 20/15 with glasses to barely able to see the big E and the two letters below that in less than three years. I had the first eye done on Feb. 4th and the second two weeks later on Feb. 18th.

After 40 years of wearing glasses I now have 20/15 in each eye and 20/10 using both eyes. I have finally been able to order some good sunglasses.

My optomologist said four to six weeks initally and then after reading some more felt that was too early. He recommended no diving for three months to avoid any problems with pressure related injuries. And he is also a diver. So on May 17-18 I will have about a dozen students I be certifying at Lake DeGray.

The only drawback to my new eyes is that I now have to use reading glasses which is nothing compared to what I would have been facing if the surgery had been unsuccessful.

After your surgery you will find colors much brighter and details more crisp.

Good luck on your surgery.

After being landlocked for three months I was back in the water this past weekend and certified 9 students at Lake DeGray in Arkansas. I am happy to report that I did not have a blowout in either eye and they still work perfectly.

Now it's off for more certifications and a trip on the Cayman Agressor in July and down to Cozumel to be with the wife some during the summer.

That's good news! I'm only going to be out 2 months, though. I have a follow-up visit on 6/4. I'm still having some issues but they are probably normal.

So glad to see these postings!
I'm new to diving and just diagnosed with a cataract at age 54. Glad to find that I'll still be able to dive.
Hope you are both doing well. Please keep us posted and let me know if you have any related advise. Thanks. -Gary

Back
Top Bottom