Catching & Keeping Ornamental Marine Tropical Fish and Invertebrates for Your Home

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveInFlorida

Instructor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We are having a NEW class on Catching & Keeping Ornamental Marine Tropical Fish and Invertebrates for Your Home Aquarium at C & N Divers in Mount Dora. SCUBA diving with C & N Divers > Home Call for more info: 352-735-5040
March 5 (Class), 15 & 16 (Collecting Trips), 2008

Class Session:
  • Introduction
  • Prerequisite – You must be a Certified Diver
  • Why collect your own fish and invertebrates?
    • Save money
    • More diving
  • Fish identification
  • Laws, Licenses and regulations
  • Equipment and Gear
    • Slurp Gun
    • Hand Nets
    • Drop Nets
    • Other Nets
    • NO DRUGS!!!
  • Safety
  • Collecting – Using the correct net
  • Collecting in shallow water verses deep water
  • Transporting you catch home – LIVE!
  • Your home aquarium – Is it ready?
  • Marine AQUACULTURE. Re-seeding the reefs.
If you really like diving and the ocean...bring a little home!

OhhhhhhhNoooooooooooooo, they're catching Nemo:popcorn:

If Nemo were in fact found in this area, he would be classified as an exotic damselfish, and either captured or killed.:pityparty:

Ergo, this class is beneficial to Nemo. :eyebrow:

If Nemo were in fact found in this area, he would be classified as an exotic damselfish, and either captured or killed.:pityparty:

Ergo, this class is beneficial to Nemo. :eyebrow:
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

We are having a NEW class on Catching & Keeping Ornamental Marine Tropical Fish and Invertebrates for Your Home Aquarium at C & N Divers in Mount Dora. SCUBA diving with C & N Divers > Home Call for more info: 352-735-5040

Class Session:
  • Introduction
    • Save money
    • More diving
  • Fish identification
  • Equipment and Gear
    • Slurp Gun
    • Hand Nets
    • Drop Nets
    • Other Nets
    • NO DRUGS!!!
  • Safety
.........................................................................................

I continue to be ashamed of most, but not all, members of my species.

And this is a good idea regarding stewardship of the environment we dive in? I don't think so. At least here in California you would undoubtedly need a collecting permit to do this.

And this is a good idea regarding stewardship of the environment we dive in? I don't think so. At least here in California you would undoubtedly need a collecting permit to do this.

Yeah, I've heard how much those California collecting permits now cost. Boo!:11:

You still need a Florida fishing permit to collect ornamentals in Florida. The industry is somewhat regulated.

Commercial collecting of ornamentals requires a special permit that's harder to get.

Class Session:
  • Introduction
    • Save money
    • More diving
  • Fish identification
  • Equipment and Gear
    • Slurp Gun
    • Hand Nets
    • Drop Nets
    • Other Nets
    • NO DRUGS!!!
  • Safety
  • Marine AQUACULTURE. Re-seeding the reefs.

=============================================

From years of personal experience I would only add 1 (one) topic to your outline:

Dealing with the heartbreak (and expense) of specimen death

I have set up, established and maintained marine aquariums from 20 gallon up to 250 gallons. I have harvested my own natural sea water and have mixed sea water using available commercial salt compounds. I have developed my own collecting systems and both caught and purchased specimens.

Despite the best science and discipline on my part, sooner or later specimens have died ...some from obvious disease, some from predatory behavior of other specimens and some mysteriously. No matter what a home aquarist does they can not duplicate the dynamic equilibrium that exists in the oceans.

Guess all I am saying is that in addition to encouraging enthusiastic home marine aquarists you need to prepare them for the realities of the hobby.

MJ

Well you guys can catch what you want. I'm looking for some people to dive with. Do you guys dive anywhere near the florida panhandle?

Well you guys can catch what you want. I'm looking for some people to dive with. Do you guys dive anywhere near the florida panhandle?

We are diving Ginnie Springs tomorrow :eyebrow:
and I personally love to dive Morrison and Vortex springs, as well as Destin Jetties.:D
Which particular sites are you interested in? :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom