Catlina Island Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimAZ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Seeking info on shore diving on Catalina(Other than the dive park) So I can seek lobster.
Also any info on day boats based on catalina
Thanks,
Tim

calling Dr Bill...stat

Hold on, I'm coming!

The park is pretty much "iT" as far as shore diving in the city waters goes. A permit from the harbor master is required to dive anywhere else. However, it appears my former neighbor, Harbor Master Brian Bray, and the city fathers have not recognized that the stretch of coast from Ring Rock (just past Lover's Cove) to Pebbly Beach (the Freight Line) was annexed by the City a while ago! It seems divers have been shore diving at will in that area (but they generally go deep, 160' or so, for legal bugs).

Hey thanks for the responses. I'm going out there in January and the boat fees seem pretty high to do for more than one day ($110 - $120 for 3 tanks). I've also heard about shore dives down around the isthmus, but the trick will be getting down there. (shrug)

There is some decent diving around the isthmus but not something you could get to on a surface swim. maybe you could rent a kayak. Lion's head is my fav and it on the northern point of cherry cove.

Perhaps the best thing for you to do is look for mainland dive boats heading out to the island. Although they will charge in the same range as Catalina's, you save the cross-channel boat fare on the Catalina Express and can often stay on the dive boat the night before the trip, saving you the cost of a hotel here.

Yes, I know... Catalina's Chamber of Commerce will hang me in effigy (or... gulp... for real) for suggesting this, but...

drbill:
Perhaps the best thing for you to do is look for mainland dive boats heading out to the island. Although they will charge in the same range as Catalina's, you save the cross-channel boat fare on the Catalina Express and can often stay on the dive boat the night before the trip, saving you the cost of a hotel here.

Yes, I know... Catalina's Chamber of Commerce will hang me in effigy (or... gulp... for real) for suggesting this, but...

Yeah, I thought about that earlier today and found a live-aboard with availability - Just waiting for them to return my e-mail. :D

Back
Top Bottom