Cave 1 Next Week - How's the Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gxsr_sarge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
It's (almost) finally here - CAVE 1 in Cave Country next week! What's the latest report on the viz? I've heard that Ginnie is OK....

Drive up and dive options... Ginnie... maybe Manatee? Jackson Blue and Vortex in the panhandle are also open, clear, and easy to access to the public.

Oh, you're going to enjoy the class . . . maybe only in retrospect, but you will enjoy it. Who's your instructor?

In addition to the above,... anyone have any speculations on how the caves may be towards the end of May? That's when I am hoping to go down & finish up my cave course. I know my instructor prefers Peacock & those around that area to teach in, but may be open to other if the case needs to be. I hate not being able to set any definite plans. If need be I can always try in June, but the scheduling won't be as good. Thanks to anyone who may have any information.

It's (almost) finally here - CAVE 1 in Cave Country next week! What's the latest report on the viz? I've heard that Ginnie is OK....

Ginnie is fine. As far as anything else, where you go and what you dive will depend largely on your instructor. Right now, Manatee, Peacock, Little River are all closed. (Note: Manatee park is open, but not open for diving until 5/9 according to the most recent post in their website) With Ginnie, they make up some of the most commonly utilized training sites in Cave Country. Now, if your instructor wants to take you up to the Mill Pond area, there are also lots of excellent caves open there.

The key is to communicate with your instructor, as they will be the ones who make the decisions regarding where you will be diving.

Oh, you're going to enjoy the class . . . maybe only in retrospect, but you will enjoy it. Who's your instructor?

It sounds like it was tough....

Mark Messersmith will be our instructor. From what I've heard, he's top-notch.

In addition to the above,... anyone have any speculations on how the caves may be towards the end of May? That's when I am hoping to go down & finish up my cave course. I know my instructor prefers Peacock & those around that area to teach in, but may be open to other if the case needs to be. I hate not being able to set any definite plans. If need be I can always try in June, but the scheduling won't be as good. Thanks to anyone who may have any information.

Tammy, based on the current water levels, I'd think that Little River and Peacock will be iffy at best at the end of May. For example, even if the waters recede at Peacock, there is so little flow there that it will take quite a while for the dark water to get pushed out of the caves. Also based on the photos I saw of the flooding, It's likely there will be some cleanup to be done, as the deadwood that was pushed up into the basin will likely make entry a challenge for a while.

Ginnie will be fine, as it is already in fine shape. Manatee is supposed to open for diving my May 9, although they have pushed the date out a few times. Not sure what the conditions will be like, but as Manatee typically has significant flow, things should clear relatively quickly there.

The Mill Pond is in good shape and there is no reason to think that will change by the end of May. In fact, I'm guessing it will improve up there.

Again, the best thing to do is stay in close contact with your instructor.

I heard that Manatee acctually reversed? this is 2nd hand information though, but regardless I dont think its open now.

Someone posted a flow chart over there, and it suggested Manatee was reversing at every high tide, but outflowing(significantly less than normal) during low tides.

We were lucky enough to dive Manatee during the floods last year. It was a lovely, easy kick dive, and I really liked the cave. I wouldn't guess anybody teaches there, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom