Cave Class Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, that's exactly my point, you use no more than 1/3, no matter what kind of tank is being used, weather they are typical of those used in the local area. or not.

1/3 is 1/3 period!
I would say it's not smart for a new cave diver to dive to 1/3rds of cave filled 104's in Mexico-- you could easily swim > 1 mile back into some MX caves like that. If I had to guess, the logic behind the rule is basically asking the diver to use common sense, and not try to cheat the system using massive tanks not typically used in the local environment.

Greetings,

I started studying online materials in prep for cave classes (NASE). One of the limits set fourth in the materials is:

Emphasis mine.

How exactly do I interpret that last bit. I'm sure people dive all kinds of cylendars all over the place. So, if my buddy and I are bringing 108cuft tanks is it safe to consider those as typical? I'm certain they can't mean I go conduct some kind of study before planning a dive. It seems an odd wording for a limitation to me. I guess if I was traveling I would need to find out what is available at my destination and plan that. But that's not quite how this is worded.

I think you misread.

It is 1/3 for apprentice/full cave.

Basic/intro Cave is 1/6.

Standard "cave" tanks should be at the intro level - around - LP85 or HP100. This is a general rule of thumb not a bright line. It's a function of both weight and volume for penetration and training.

After some time & comfort - once buoyancy is nailed down you can migrate up to LP95 or HP120s.. later after full cave use of stage bottles & deco cylinders will also contribute to penetration options.

If you are used to 108's and are bringing them, then by all means. But if you are renting, MOST cave shops will have certain tank sizes 85s, 95s and 120s are very common cave cylinders. Being consistent in cave diving is important so training in one tank weight is helpful and reduces the need to recalibrate ever tank swap.

Dan-O

I think you misread.

It is 1/3 for apprentice/full cave.

Basic/intro Cave is 1/6.

Standard "cave" tanks should be at the intro level - around - LP85 or HP100. This is a general rule of thumb not a bright line. It's a function of both weight and volume for penetration and training.

After some time & comfort - once buoyancy is nailed down you can migrate up to LP95 or HP120s.. later after full cave use of stage bottles & deco cylinders will also contribute to penetration options.

If you are used to 108's and are bringing them, then by all means. But if you are renting, MOST cave shops will have certain tank sizes 85s, 95s and 120s are very common cave cylinders. Being consistent in cave diving is important so training in one tank weight is helpful and reduces the need to recalibrate ever tank swap.

Dan-O
I don't think I've seen much training take place in anything other than 104/108/112/130's (same internal volume)

I don't think I've seen much training take place in anything other than 104/108/112/130's (same internal volume)

Almost all sidemount cave training is done in LP85s or LP95s- pretty across the board. Have yet to see a single config description other than that anywhere. Of course after training is a different story.

Most dive shops in a Cave Country advertise as carrying:

"Steel Double cylinders in sizes ranging from 85 to 120 cubic feet."

So I extrapolate that to be the standard range.

Of course it's not universal- just using, Amigos, Cave Country, Cave Excursions, as examples.

Outside the US steel tanks are not as easy to find as Aluminum 80s - but that's a different story altogether.

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom