Cave diver drowns - Jackson Blue Springs, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They who?

"Whoever" is responsible for accident analysis nowadays. The same "they" we've all been complaining about not releasing reports or analysis of cave diving accidents for literal years, now.

Or, someone random could be a hero and just start FOIA'ing the investigative reports from the appropriate law enforcement agencies involved in accidents/recoveries. I'm kind of surprised that hasn't happened yet, honestly.

Or, someone random could be a hero and just start FOIA'ing the investigative reports from the appropriate law enforcement agencies involved in accidents/recoveries. I'm kind of surprised that hasn't happened yet, honestly.

A couple of reasons, the primary reason as it will likely make you a pariah in at least some segments of the cave community. Unless you can effectively launder it through a third party. The lesser reason is that it costs money and time because these agencies are small without a published process.

There was a recent movement to have the NSS-CDs do these investigations and reports. The first attempts were encouraging. I don't know what happened after that.

I used to write reports for NSS. I can assure you there are a lot of problems doing it. It is not easy to produce a truly accurate report in many cases, because many people do not want to report all of what they know. There are many reasons for this. I was in some cases blatantly lied to, but what could I do about that? Shockingly enough, even a purely objective report can be misleading if you have to leave out some contentious information because you cannot be sure of it. The report you write may end up giving an impression that is exactly the opposite of what you believe, but you really can't write what you believe because it isn't objective.

Well based on these recent comments from muiltiple people, I see no further value in any of these accidents and incidents threads because we never know any details at all of what happened. They are only worth reading for curiosity's sake.

If you can't learn from them because everyone says they probably died of a cardiac event, then what's the point? I guess the only thing you can say is make sure your heart is in good shaped because whether you're using a rebreather and diving in a cave or you're on open circuit and diving a popular wreck, that's the best thing you can do to lower your chances of dying while scuba diving.

I see no further value in any of these accidents and incidents threads

If you can't learn from them because everyone says they probably died of a cardiac event, then what's the point?
Like you said, it's a curiosity thing. And while most may not freely admit to it, they're rather entertaining, in a morbid sort of way.

Occasionally some solid information follows an incident, but for the most part, they simply alert you that it can be a dangerous sport. Rules and training are for a reason and many were written in blood.

Repeating the same causes of deaths in cave diving may seem redundant, and it did to me for a long time.
However, I now think that it cannot hurt for people to be reminded of the things that can kill us and also providing examples of how it did kill someone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom