Cave diver drowns - Jackson Blue Springs, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even on 85s without a stage well within kicking range it sounds like.
I don't know what the flow in JB is like right now, but too often people overestimate their exit speed in high flow caves because "oh this cave can't be blown out". This is a screen grab from @Dive-aholic around the 2nd breakdown in JB. Ginnie is more than capable of doing the same. I don't know their intended dive plan for max penetration or what his SAC rate was for bailout, so can't comment on whether it was enough or not.

1685366910032.png

The deceased was first cave certified in 2021, Sidewinder 2022, cave CCR about 3 weeks ago. Not what I would call "very experienced". Buddy was not CCR certified and got full cave about a year ago.

Seems like a trend.

Manatee Springs 2019 and 2022 - Not full caved trained doing siphon traverse without proving the exit
Roaring River - IIRC approximately 2 years total experience (which is conveniently left off the report)

What stuck with me was something that @rddvet said about transitioning to CCR, he said he spent a year working his way back up to the same level of diving as he did when he was OC.

Seems like a trend.

Manatee Springs 2019 and 2022 - Not full caved trained doing siphon traverse without proving the exit
Roaring River - IIRC approximately 2 years total experience (which is conveniently left off the report)

What stuck with me was something that @rddvet said about transitioning to CCR, he said he spent a year working his way back up to the same level of diving as he did when he was OC.

I totally agree with rddvet said. It seems too many divers don’t agree with that when I see what people are doing from social media posts.

I totally agree with rddvet said. It seems too many divers don’t agree with that when I see what people are doing from social media posts.

Yup, fully agree. IMHO you have to go back up the training/experience ladder when crossing OC/CCR.

Seems like a trend.
It sure does. The question is what does the trend indicate. Too much too fast? The rules don’t apply to me because I’m an “expert”? IDK.

It sure does. The question is what does the trend indicate. Too much too fast? The rules don’t apply to me because I’m an “expert”? IDK.

Well in all three cases you have clear rules violations.

Does anyone have a vid/pic of the restriction where the person was stuck?
And whats the rough depth there?

My understanding is that the deceased had 1 empty and 1 @ 2400psi.

And guys don’t take this as like 100% accurate. I’m doin the best I can to relay the scant info that I have. Expect inaccuracies.
Unless it was his reg that was not reachable/super entangled, then not sure why he would still have 2400psi left in one tank. Probably the survivor's pressure?

Well in all three cases you have clear rules violations.
Yup. Why is the question. The fact that rules were violated is obvious, Why they were violated opens the door for understanding how to prevent future occurrences. Or maybe not…we have preached staying out of caves unless qualified for decades, and given examples of the horrifying results…still folks venture into caves uncertified.
At least this guy was certified (back on topic), but would another 5 years and 1000hrs on his rebreather have prevented this? Maybe, maybe not. Not enough info out there to make that analysis.

Same here. Too far too fast. Might be certified, but not experienced enough to be doing the dives some are doing right away after certification. Need to have a few “humbling” and learning experiences along the way.

OC Cavern & Cave Into 2004
OC Apprentice: 2005
OC Trimix 2006
OC Cave 2007
Cave DPV 2018

Switch to BM CCR in 2010 and dove in a quarry for year 1/2 missing Great Lakes shipwreck diving and only diving caves in OC.

CCR Cave crossover in 2012
CCR Normoxic Trimix 2013
CCR Trimix 2014

It was frustrating, but worthwhile based on the dives I am confident doing today.

Back
Top Bottom