Cave Diving Dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys...I'm thinking about going Cavern through Full Cave in the spring. When I tell my friends and family this, I get the standard "Oh, that's so dangerous" response from them. So my question for all you experienced cave divers and instructors is, do you consider cave diving dangerous? Now...obviously entering an overhead environment without the proper training and equipment is beyond dangerous. But assuming one has the appropriate training and equipment and do things the correct way, do you guys still consider cave diving especially dangerous?

Nope,,,I think the cave skills I've learned have made me a better and safer diver in the ocean.

If you follow the rules and have the correct equipment it is really safe. Now as you go deeper and farther into a cave the danger increases.

Caves are not dangerous (unless they collapse). Caves are also not forgiving any mistakes.
It's Mother Nature at her rawest, and Murphy joins you on every dive.

Yes, cave diving is dangerous. It holds a higher level of risk than other types of diving. The training teaches you to become an excellent risk manager. It is still dangerous.

yes and no. Is it inherently dangerous? yes, of course. You are diving which is inherently dangerous, and removing direct access to the surface, which compounds problems. Does the training and gear work to mitigate the risk? yes, if done right is it any more dangerous than diving in the ocean? I think it is actually less dangerous, but that is just me...
granted I say that as I'm sitting in a dive shop in cave country about to go cave diving for a week, so color me biased...

If diving is not dangerous, why do we have so much safety equipment?
The level of danger is more about the diver attitude, not the environment.

If diving is not dangerous, why do we have so much safety equipment?
The level of danger is more about the diver attitude, not the environment.

Every increment you take away from the surface, where air is for all practical purposes both infinite and breathable, the more risk you have to manage. Both virtual (deco obligation) and hard (wrecks, caves) overheads increase complexity and increase the risks you must manage.

I can draw an analog to driving. Driving to work, on a route you know intimately, more or less in accordance with local traffic laws on low-speed surface roads, is pretty safe. Driving an unfamiliar route, less so. Driving that new route at night, in rain, in snow in fog, in high winds, all increase the risk.

With me so far? Great. Now, let's go racing! Get into your car with the fuel cell (to control the risk of fire), fire suppression system (ditto), Nomex suit (still about fire) with its gloves and booties, the safety cage, racing seat, 5-point harness, helmet, and HANS device. Know where the corner workers are because they have radios and bigger fire extinguishers. Know that there are a few ambulances positioned around the track. Know the meanings of the flags (red and yellow, in particuar).

Is it safe? A few racers die every year, and others are injured. Given racing miles and time vs. commuting miles and time, it is clearly more hazardous to race than to drive on the street. Likewise, technical diving (including cave diving) carries more hazards than recreational diving, and the consequences of mistakes are more severe.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom