Cave Instructor recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several buddies of mine and I also took cavern thru full cave (in addition to AN, Deco, and Trimix) through Jeff Bauer. He was fair, worked with us, and provided us the opportunity to work on many different skills and drills :) Also, he had an uncanny ability to remember all of our mistakes during our checkout dives. All of the above have helped make us better cave divers and made sure we could handle various issues while cave diving. Jeff lives in Tallahassee so it would be easy for him to do a day of dives at JB and alternate with Peacock, Ginnie, or Little River. The millpond also has some other caves in addition to JB.

One of my buddies took a gas mixing course with Jeff Loflin and was impressed with him. I have met Jeff several times at Edd's and found him to be good guy.

I dove with Tracy Grubbs during an NACD skills seminar and based on that dive and feedback, he seems to be a good instructor.

Ditto what others have said about Rich Courtney. I have not dove with him but have met him several times at his shop, on a dive trip, and at the NACD annual social - super guy!

Do you know if that's the same Jeff Loflin that is a PADI course director...?? (Tampa) If so, I did my IDC with him 15 years ago in Key Largo..Glad he is still diving...

Do you know if that's the same Jeff Loflin that is a PADI course director...?? (Tampa) If so, I did my IDC with him 15 years ago in Key Largo..Glad he is still diving...

Jeff Loflin is also a cave instructor with the NSS and a course director with PADI (probably the same one you were referring to)

It's smart to ask why people like certain instructors. Some divers thrive on a hard driving almost drill instructor style of teaching, while others prefer a more patient and relaxed teaching style.

Mike O'Leary is one of the latter and is very good, has been around forever and teaches from the perspective of having been doing cave diving for 30 years. Consequently his reasons for suggesting something are based on experience rather than just dogma.

Also, to my knowledge, none of this cave students has ever died in a cave and with his years of experience teaching, that adds a certain level of validity and credibility to his teaching style and/or screening of students and/or unwillingness to pass someone who is not fully competent.

Jim Wyatt also comes well recommended, knows his stuff and can teach it, although he is a little closer to the more aggressive style of teaching.

I've met Rich Courtney on numerous occasions and while I have never taken a class from him, he also strikes me as someone who actually has the ability to teach rather than just being someone who meets the minimums to be a cave instructor.

I have to second Mike O'leary. I learned more from him then any instructor I have ever had. fair, but thorough

Depends on what part of Florida you want to take the course. I prefer the panhandle so Rob Neto and Nick L are good choices along with Ken Paramore, Jeff laughlin and many others.
In the High Springs area I might go with Larry Green or Jim Wyatt or Shirley Kasser. Rich Courtney is a blast to be around and I have only met him once.

You need to actually talk to these people and find one you think you mesh well with. That will make the experience more enjoyable even if you dont have the outcome you want.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have decided to take cavern and intro to cave with Mike Ange, along with a couple of other courses I am going to take with him next month.
I will then probably be going back in the summer to finish cave training. I can't wait! :D

Carrie

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have decided to take cavern and intro to cave with Mike Ange, along with a couple of other courses I am going to take with him next month.
I will then probably be going back in the summer to finish cave training. I can't wait! :D

Carrie

Congratulations on your decision and your upcoming class. The only disadvantage is living so far away from cave country :)

If you are not a member already, please consider joining the NACD (National Association For Cave Diving) and the NSS-CDS (National Speleological Society Cave Diving Section). Both are great organizations and have various socials, events, and seminars during the year. They are inexpensive investments for all that they offer.

Carrie

I hope the cave and tech bug bites REAL HARD :wink:

Best of luck with your classes . . . and because no one else has said it yet . . .

Welcome to the dark side :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom