Cave tied or breakaway

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichLockyer:
..... indicated that he "wished people didn't copy him" (without understanding why he does something).
Excellent point.

I wonder how things would be different in diving if there was understanding instead of just copying or mimicing :06:

jbd:
I wonder how things would be different in diving if there was understanding instead of just copying or mimicing :06:
Given that imitation is the basis for the way most people learn...

I know Jammer Six has a reputation as a bonehead, but after reading Learning 101, it really opened my eyes as to why he is the way he is, and it did help with MY learning process.

The funny thing is, I read it once and can't remember where it was. It may have been in the Techdiver archives.

Ya... here it is:
http://www.aquanaut.com/bin/mlist/aquanaut/techdiver/display?29336,subject

RichLockyer:
Bingo. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

RichLockyer:

I know Jammer Six has a reputation as a bonehead, but after reading Learning 101, it really opened my eyes as to why he is the way he is, and it did help with MY learning process.

The funny thing is, I read it once and can't remember where it was. It may have been in the Techdiver archives.

Ya... here it is:
http://www.aquanaut.com/bin/mlist/aquanaut/techdiver/display?29336,subject

Agreed. Imitation can be very useful in learning to do something but I think George's point is that it is better to understand why you are doing something as opposed to being clueless as to why you are doing it. When I was teaching I noticed that the students would try their very best to imitate what they saw me and anyone assisting me do. It seemed they caught on much quicker if they knew why I did what I did. I guess what I'm saying is that I think that George has a very valid point in regards to copying someone.

sharkmasterbc:
I had to take out the part about stages cause it was too long...but notice the use of "breakaway clips" on the primary second stage.
It's amazing what a little google search will do for u !!!
Things have changed..As with most detail oriented pursuits it is constant evolution.There are NO breakaways anywhere..
Cody

I use cave line on all my stuff. As you said you always donate what your using so no need for the break away besides the cave lijne can be cut easy. But I belive RB80 divers still use the Oring, is this right?

Zip ties are much more durable than o-rings, but unlike cave line you can easily break away a zip tie. I use zips on both my spg and my 7'er - easy to cut, long lasting, and break away, seems to work well for me.

Sigh....
DIR just ain't in my future.
I use innertube breakaways; I use zip ties; no cave line anywhere.
Rick

In following this thread, which is in the DIR forum, it appears we have a situation of what is correct/right for those that follow DIR and what is correct/right for those that do not follow DIR.

I think both sides have justifiable reasons for their choices and neither is more correct than the other. It all depends on what you personally believe and are comfortable with.

The standard these days is cave line on everything. Bolt snaps on seconds and SPGs should be tied on with cave line. I was taught the breakaways with an o-ring and ziptie two years ago by JJ and Dave Sweetin and they held up through cave 1 last year. This year, in tech 1, they axed my breakaways and are going with cave line everywhere. Reasons cited were - lots of accidental breakage causing minor clusters, the fact that you can still breathe your long hose when it is clipped off, and the overall robustness of the cave line/boltsnap connection.

Rig your gear however you want, but this is what GUE has evolved to..at least up until June 20th, 2004.. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom