Cave Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

r00t0fallevil:
Currently I have an open water certification. When does one consider they are ready for Cave Diving?

Thanks...

all depends on how many years you have been diving and how many dives you have

Get your trim (weight or lack thereof so you are horizontal in the water), bouyancy (being able to stay at a specific depth in SHALLOW water strictly by breathing control), gear (nothing dangling, nothing beyond what you actually need with you, everything that you actually do with you), all squared away. Then dive that way a lot to get comfortable. Along the way, make sure that you respond to problems by thinking through them instead doing the first thing that comes to mind (anotherwords, you don't panic). Once you have done that, take a cavern course with a good instructor, AND PAY ATTENTION! Think about what they are trying to teach you, and practice applying that in actual dives. When you can't improve your diving in a major way by practicing & perfecting the things that you were taught in cavern class, than it might be time to think about a cave class.

Most cavern courses require you have done some diving and have an AOW from what i have seen. Not sure of other requirements to "start" the cavern course, but unless you are pretty good you might not get the cert on your first try without some dives under your belt. It says you have 0-15 dives on your profile, i would suggest a good 50 or so to start cavern training and then dive with that for a while, maybe 20-30 cavern dives min or about 100 dives total before trying for intro to cave and so on.

Thanks for the replies...

I have a about 60 dives under my belt. My scuba birthday is approaching the 1 year mark. WhenI divel I focus my attention on skills, streamlining, form and neutral buoyancy rather than the wildlife, sun and fun in the warm waters. HAHAHAHA.

Anyways I am interested in advancing my scuba knowledge and technique. I live in NY and thought how nice diving would be if there were some caves I could travel to and scuba. Clearly I need further training and I wasn't sure when to begin. scubafool says some good advice. I think till I get diving so routine and second nature should I attempt advanced training.

-r00t0fallevil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom