Cavern Equipment/Restrictions ( Long Post Sorry)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattroz:
are you also doing your adv. deco with YMCA? do they have a minimum number of dives? according to your profile you were just certified in march and have done less than 15 dives. ( I know we haven't been able to update).
Yeah we haven't been able to update for a while I have over 50 dives now and I wouldn't take the adv. nitrox this summer the dive season in Ohio is winding down so realistically I'm talking about maybe taking it at the end of next summer at the earliest. By the end of this summer I'll probably have close to 100 dives... if I get to keep diving into late October like I plan. I maybe able to get some winter dives in here during a warmer day I have a 7mm farmer john and have hit 46 degrees at the bottom of a few of the quarries up here and bottom temp isn't that much worse during the winter, but my aim is to have 150 dives by mid summer next year (when I would liek to take the adv. nitrox)

We are about to do the cavern class at the end of next month. According to what I have read doubles are not allowed. The course will give both a PADI and an IANTD ticket.

I'm not sure how this will pan out - the instructor mentioned doubles being OK (we are both IANTD Adv. EAN/Trimix and experienced with tech kit).

I am happy with the idea of a single tank in this environement (we have H valve as standard). Maybe the doubles give too much opportunity to explore beyond your training level for divers new to this environment??? Also as this is open to people at AOW level its a bit task-loading introducing doubles to a diver at that level of training as well as reels and an overhead environment.

Anyway. Looking forward to it - first ever dive in a cave!!! (OK "cavern"... :D)

Chris

brutus_scuba:
There really was no cavern for that cave entrance though it was pretty much like you decended in the hole and the sign was right there.

The sign does not denote the "end of the cavern zone". As a trained cavern diver, feel free to go passed it, into the round room inside which is well within cavern limits. There are many signs in many systems well out of the cavern zone. Upper Orange grove being an example that jumps right out.

I just took my cavern class in july, through NACD. We all dove doubles for the class, and we all had canister lights, BP/Ws and longhoses with a bungeed backup. We were essentially in cave gear. We went this route because we all have a desire to continue on to intro cave. We were informed, however, that if we were to rent tanks somewhere and they saw we only had a cavern card, that we would only be given a single tank. (This is in Tulum, Mexico, where most of the diving in the area is cavern/cave). So we were trained in doubles, and I am really glad we did.

Anyway, our class was really awesome and I am so pleased to have had such an amazing introduction into the overhead.

loosebits:
As I recall the definition of cavern isn't that you can still see some ambient light (e.g. light reflecting off of rocks) but light from the surface is able to reach you directly (you should be able to actually see OW). The phrase is "direct sunlight".
Maybe this is an agency thing. I was taught that "Natural light (i.e. daylight/sunlight) is your primary light source".
By that I understand that I should still be able to clearly see things with all other lights turned off. This can be reflected light as long as there's enough of it - (that was my understanding from my instructor, and we also practiced lines into cavern passages using that definition, to maybe just a bit around the first bend.

As for the diver who took you up, I'm sure she was just being concerned for your safety but didn't your instructor have anything to say about it? :11:

Each agency has their specifics as to what standards they use. Most have some commonalities, enough that it is difficult to determine which is which but comparable

From the NACD standards:
LIMITS:
A. Natural sunlight.
B. Maximum 200 feet penetration distance.
C. No decompression diving.
D. No restrictions.
E. Maximum depth - 100 feet.
F. Minimum visibility - 30 feet.
G. Minimum starting psi - 2000 psi or 50 cubic feet.
H. 1/3 air rule on singles, 1/6 on doubles.

10. MINIMUM EQUIPMENT:
A. Mask, low volume type recommended.
B. Power fins-straps taped together, if applicable.
C. 72 cubic foot or greater single cylinder. Recommended: Single cylinder with dual valve orifice.
D. Single hose regulator with an octopus as the alternate air source and submersible pressure gauge.
E. Exposure suit, suitable for diving location.
F. Buoyancy compensator with auto inflator, C02 devices rendered inoperative.
G. Submersible dive tables or computer must be used
H. Knife, preferable small and sharp, or line cutter acceptable to instructor.
I. Slate and pencil.
J. Watch or bottom timer and depth gauge. A dive computer may be used in place of these.
K. Weight belt or other instructor approved weights.
L. Battery powered dive lights, at least two per diver. These lights should have a suitable burn time for the dive being planned.
M. Minimum of one safety reel per diver.
N. One primary reel per team.

Note that an instructor can ask that you have additional equipment such as a second safety reel/spool, a long hose and a second cutting device

The definition of the cavern zone as per NACD is :

For training purposes, cavern diving is defined as that portion of the cave environment illuminated by natural sunlight which has no restrictions, is not deeper than 100 feet, does not exceed 200 linear feet from the surface entrance and has a minimum starting visibility of 30 feet. There is no cavern diving at night.

GDI:
Each agency has their specifics as to what standards they use. Most have some commonalities, enough that it is difficult to determine which is which but comparable

From the NACD standards:
LIMITS:
A. Natural sunlight.
B. Maximum 200 feet penetration distance.
C. No decompression diving.
D. No restrictions.
E. Maximum depth - 100 feet.
F. Minimum visibility - 30 feet.
G. Minimum starting psi - 2000 psi or 50 cubic feet.
H. 1/3 air rule on singles, 1/6 on doubles.

10. MINIMUM EQUIPMENT:
A. Mask, low volume type recommended.
B. Power fins-straps taped together, if applicable.
C. 72 cubic foot or greater single cylinder. Recommended: Single cylinder with dual valve orifice.
D. Single hose regulator with an octopus as the alternate air source and submersible pressure gauge.
E. Exposure suit, suitable for diving location.
F. Buoyancy compensator with auto inflator, C02 devices rendered inoperative.
G. Submersible dive tables or computer must be used
H. Knife, preferable small and sharp, or line cutter acceptable to instructor.
I. Slate and pencil.
J. Watch or bottom timer and depth gauge. A dive computer may be used in place of these.
K. Weight belt or other instructor approved weights.
L. Battery powered dive lights, at least two per diver. These lights should have a suitable burn time for the dive being planned.
M. Minimum of one safety reel per diver.
N. One primary reel per team.

Note that an instructor can ask that you have additional equipment such as a second safety reel/spool, a long hose and a second cutting device

The definition of the cavern zone as per NACD is :

For training purposes, cavern diving is defined as that portion of the cave environment illuminated by natural sunlight which has no restrictions, is not deeper than 100 feet, does not exceed 200 linear feet from the surface entrance and has a minimum starting visibility of 30 feet. There is no cavern diving at night.

Now I don't have to ask my instructor.....he already answered:D

Steve
If GDI is your instructor then you got the best one you could.But be prepared for many unexpected things to happen
:D
Mania

mania:
Steve
If GDI is your instructor then you got the best one you could.But be prepared for many unexpected things to happen
:D
Mania

Thanks Mania. Yep I know he's the best out there. I took my adv nitrox/deco proceedures from him. I will do my best to make sure he doesnt have "too much fun" with me....I wouldn't go anywhere else for training

Will let you know how it goes:D

chrisch:
Maybe the doubles give too much opportunity to explore beyond your training level for divers new to this environment???

Chris
BAM! Exactly what we were told in our course and fair enough, I know the entrance to the cave was calling me.
Enjoy your cavern dives, I know mine were possibly the best dives I've ever had.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom