Caves in Arizona for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
I just watched a movie on netflix on caves. They started out with dry caves accessed from the Grand Canyon by rappelling or kayaking. This got me wondering if there are any divable caves in the system?
I want to get ny Intro Cavern/Cave sometime in the next year, along with advanced nitrox, deco and maybe a couple other tech classes. Eventually, in about 3-4 years we'll be moving somewhere, maybe NE OK where we could have the great MO caves at our front door.
Anyway, just hoping I may have something more exciting than Lake Pleasant and Salt River to dive for the next few years?
You can PM me if this is not supposed to be public knowledge.
thanks!

I just watched a movie on netflix on caves. They started out with dry caves accessed from the Grand Canyon by rappelling or kayaking. This got me wondering if there are any divable caves in the system?
I want to get ny Intro Cavern/Cave sometime in the next year, along with advanced nitrox, deco and maybe a couple other tech classes. Eventually, in about 3-4 years we'll be moving somewhere, maybe NE OK where we could have the great MO caves at our front door.
Anyway, just hoping I may have something more exciting than Lake Pleasant and Salt River to dive for the next few years?
You can PM me if this is not supposed to be public knowledge.
thanks!

There are a few very very scary serious flooded mines in AZ which require ATVs and other toys to even get close to them. The are totally unsuitable as beginner "cave" sites for sure. I don't think there are any accessible flooded caves. Best to ask locally once you have proper training and experience.

Definately keep in mind what rjack just stated... probably nothing at all in Arizona, cavewise, is going to be beginner friendly.

That being said... the first thing I came across with a google search for "Arizona Springs" was Arizona Hot Springs

I'd go down the list and see whats accessible and start gathering information...

It is likely there is cave in Arizona to dive... its just a matter of accessibility and skill level... and temperature.

Being a cave diver who lived in Arizona, I can tell you there are no beginner caverns/caves anywhere in the state. There are some mines, but the require a lot of work just to get to if you can get access. There are also sumps that also require a lot of work to get to. I also heard of some caverns in Mohave but didn't have a boat to go search them. My guess is there isn't much more than a couple dozen or so feet of penetration and not worth it. I did find some photos of them on the 'net during low lake level periods and they didn't look like much. So we just drove to Florida 3-4 times a year until we moved. And we lived an hour's drive from one of the sumps. It was just too much in the way of logistics at that time. I'm planning on heading back for a few weeks next year and may try it then.

As for Missouri caves, they can be temperamental. While they will be closer, you won't be able to dive them year round. If you want that move to Florida.

We are probably going to move to NE OK so I guess I can wait until then to get a real cave fix in MO. Until then, I can get some vacation training in Mexico and Florida. Any suggestions on best places and instructors. For some reason, my highly adventurous husband is not all that interested. He wants to do wrecks, I want to do caves. So, I guess well have to do some vacation trading. Our vacation time is highly limited due to time and money. He's a PhD student for the next few years and I'm only working part- time (by choice).
I could do some tech training here in AZ if anyone knows a tech instructor but if I'm going to travel would like to plan trips along with the hubby.
Hubby is a PADI instructor, BTW.

Not necessarily. I was a wreck head and my wife wanted to dive the caves. I still enjoy wrecks, but my heart is in the caves. More on PM.

Cave diving in AZ? You might call Chase at Twin Finn (Twin Finn Diving and Kayak Rentals at Lake Powell). We rented kayaks from them for a number of years to camp/paddle deep in the canyons of Lake Powell and we learned a bit about the diving they do there. At that time we were not scuba diving so it was all a big mystery to me. However, caves may be part of the appeal there...ask him.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom