Cay Caulker/Belize Recommdation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terrydarc

Reaction score
We were thinking about going to Utila, but time and distance in Central America are going to limit us from getting that far south from the Yucatan... Gonna be on a bus before that and don't need to rack up another r/t airline flight to Honduras. We love the laid back quality of Utila, so you can get an idea of our tastes.

We're gonna spend a week in Belize and the least developed and most interesting looking place in Belize seems to be Cay Caulker, with maybe extensions off to one of the atolls like Turneffe.

Ok, people who've been there, what are your recommendations for divers going to Cay Caulker. Looking for a diver operation and maybe a place to stay. Understand that we're not looking for an all inclusive, turnkey resort where every little detail is taken care of. We're concious of cost and a solid dive operation without the frills. Thanks a bunch to all you Belize afficionados!
=Terry

Hi Terry

Caye Caulker is probably what you are looking for its a quiet island mainly a favorite of backpackers and prices reflect that although the prices have increased quite a bit since I first arrived there 14 years ago.

You have a Huge variety of budget hotels and the island even has luxury hotels now also, but you can find a whole bunch of budget places by just arriving and looking at which one you like the look of.

Diving has also came a long way and there are now a bunch of diveshops also one of the long time dive shops is Frenchies diving which is owned by frenchie and his wife a native local of Caye caulker and you can't got wrong with him, also theres Paradise down owen by OJ (not SIMPSON:) a American ex pat who also provides a good service.

You may also be able to find a bunch of other smaller ops and they have street vendors trying to sell you trips on the streets also so it really depends on what your tastes and what feeling these guys give you.

Word of warning Caye Caulker has its bad elements and common sense should prevail in security and not leving stuff hanging over balconys etc lock doors at night etc.

Some sites to check out on Caye Caulker are

www.GoCayeCaulker.com
www.CayeCaulker.net
www.cybercayecaulker.com

Have a great trip

regards

Gaz Cooper

I've been to Caye Caulker several times and ehco Gaz's comments.

For diving I recommend Frenchie's. Frenchie is a great guy and DMs Carl and Alex are terrific locals who know the dive sites like the back of their hands and they are funny too. (Alex is a little air-headed but still a good guy.)

For a snorkeling trip I go with either Ras Creek or Chocolate. Ras Creek will find you (or you can find him at the sand trap -- bar just to the right of the main dock) and Chocolate has a little shop on the main drag.

For lodging Frenchie has a new place that he built but I've not stayed there. I usualy stay at a place called Tom's. It is a bit off the beaten path (which means quite at night . . . places that are right on the main strip--i.e. to the right of the boat dock--tend to be a bit loud at night.) They have clean rooms with shared bath for ~ $15US but I think he has some rooms with private bath as well. Tom's is on the beach (with a nice dock to sit on/ swim from) to the left from the boat dock. To get there turn left follow the street walk until the street takes a right turn, follow that until the first left (and go left) and a little bit down on the left you'll find Tom's. It is set back a bit from the road and there is a fence around it so it is easy to miss but there is a little store just across the street that you can use as a landmark for the turn into the hotel. If you get to the air strip you've gone too far.

On your way to Tom's you'll see a reasturant called Marins. Great seafood, a must-visit place!

Re: the "element" on Caulker. Gaz is right. There seem to be a much larger group of local guys who spend the days smoking pot and the nights drinking rum (and as a consequence are very outgoing and overly friendly) than I have experienced on other islands. I am a bit more conscious of my person and belongings on Caulker than I am when on Utila but it is just common sense, nothing bad has ever happened to me.

Have fun.

Sounds like a concensus there. Either of you ever dive Utila to compare it to Cay Caulker? That's my idea of laid back. I hear you about being cautious with stuff whenever you go diving and you're not in the 4 star hotels - like me never!

Also thanks for the recommndations on Tom's. I really appreciate peace and quiet. We'll check it out.

Anyone else have recommendations on where to dive while in CC?
=Terry

I alternate my trips between the Utila and Caulker.
In my opinion

Utila +s are: cheaper, greater density of people (so there are more new and interesting people to meet), a bit more to do above water (kayak, bike/hike to the N side of island, etc.)

Caulker +s are: a bit more tropical island feel (beaches, hammock everywhere, etc.), not as crowded/dense with people

The trouble with Utila for me is that I have to burn a day just getting there whereas I can take a red-eye from San Francisco and be on the beach at Cualker by noon the same day.

Whether allowing I don't think you can go wrong in terms of diving at either place. To me the reefs around Utila have a bit more variety (walls, caves, etc) than the reef off of Caulker but in general diving at both places has been fairly comparable with the exception of whale shark sitings which I don't think are likely on Caulker but are fairly common on Utila from March-June.

I went there before i was cert, but I went snorkeling with Creek. $15US and we snorkeled, ate fresh conch ceviche, he brought snacks, and gave us a tour of the waters around the whole island.

Also if you go, next door to Marin's restaurant is the I&I bar. Its built on top of Salvador Marin's house and has hammocks, swings, catwalks, and tree houses. Also he'll have a BBQ up there sometimes, cheap good food.

My sister left some towels and such out on the porch and all her stuff was stolen. I had become freinds with several locals and none of my stuff was touched, only hers and her boyfriend's. I spent 10 great days there.

Hi

I started diving in Caye Caulker in 1990. The generator was turned off at 9 PM every night. No airport so you got there by small craft handled by Chocolate from Belize City that took 40 minutes. No telephone only a shortwave radio. Only one dive operation.

From the sounds of it, the island has changed a little.

Happy and Safe Diving

Ron

Sounds like my kinda place, Ron!:D

I'm always a bit baffled by people who want to go to something that seems to me to be Las Vegas replicated in the Carrib or in the wilds of the world wherever. It's ok, but it's so far from what my wife and I want as to run cold shudders up me spine. Here's to the last of the wild - long may it live!
=Terry

This is where I stayed when I was in Cay Caulker. http://www.trendsbze.com/

Ask to stay in the cabana.

I first spent time on Caye Caulker in 1979...helped to launch the first dive operation on the island, taught diving to tourists passing through. Sounds as if the island has changed A LOT!

Beautiful place, beautiful people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom