Cayman Aggressor - any reservations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheDeuce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

Here's the story. The good news is that my non-diving wife and I found out that we're expecting twins this coming January or February. It'll be quite the household, four kids with the oldest being four years old. As much fun as that's going to be, it will be the end of my diving trips for a while, which brings me to this juncture.

I've been wanting to do a liveaboard for a long time and dive dive dive for the entire time. Doing my research suggested that the Cayman Aggressor would hit all the Caymanian sites that I'd like for a good price. Following up around these parts I stumbled on the 'Caribe Dancer' thread, and am now given pause. If the Caribe Dancer and Cayman Aggressor are owned by the same folks should I be avoiding them altogether? I'd hate to have my last dive trip for the next few years marred by an indifferent and uncaring company.

(Side note - I wonder how much revenue has been lost by that Caribe Dancer mess? I pointed my travel lady at that thread and she found it very illuminating)

So, Cayman Aggressor. Book with confidence or run far away?

Query two - what are communications like on a liveaboard? Phone calls back home easy and reliable?

Thx,

m.

I, for one, would never book with the Aggressor/Dancer company based on what I learned in that thread. If everything goes nice and smooth then no problem. But you can see from the thread if something goes wrong you are pretty much on your own. The Caymans are a great area to dive but the very best diving is on Little Cayman. You may want to consider a trip to the Little Cayman Beach Resort. You can get in about 17 dives on a trip like that. However, if you really want a liveaboard, look into the Explorer Ventures company. I have heard really good things about them and when something doesn't go right on a trip, they make it right.

We are doing the Turks & Caicos Explorer next year and I know they have been running some really good deals for the remaining trips this year and I hear the Turks & Caicos is wonderful diving. Here is a link to their company. Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Liveaboard Diving! Click on their "Specials" tab and you may find something that would interest you.

I don't know if it makes a difference but a shortage of dive buddies who have time available means I'm flying solo. I'm self-assured enough to be happy playing the role of the wise-cracking third wheel though...

But if one company is more 'singleton friendly' than another it'd be good to know.

m.

When makes a difference. At certain times in the year weather makes it less likely for the Aggressor to hit all three islands. Search here for details - I'm fairly sure it's in winter.

I found this once: Cayman aggressor – Day 1 – July 18, 2010 | Herb Segars Photography Blog Kind of a good overview with great pictures.

Query two - what are communications like on a liveaboard? Phone calls back home easy and reliable?
It's in the FAQ:
TELEPHONE/INTERNET SERVICE
There is a computer station onboard and phone cards may be purchased to use the satellite communications system for phone call. Wi-fi is complimentary, however, depending on the location of the yacht may be intermittent. It is likely your cell phone/email will work depending on your service provider.

One other consideration is getting there in time for the departure on the same day. An overnight stay can be pretty pricey at certain peak times of the year.

Last edited:
While the Carib story scares the crap out if me and too would avoid it, I recommend you go book your Cayman trip. I've been diving Aggressor/Dancer (Cayman, Belize, Utila) and Explorer (Bahamas and Galapagos) for several years without any issues. In fact I just booked the Sun Dancer-Belize for the week before xmas (my second time on this boat). I actually tried to book the Cayman Aggressor, but they only allow group bookings for this week. I did the Cayman boat 3 years ago and it was great. Note if you book the Cayman Aggressor that room 8 and 9 share an adjoining bathroom. Enjoy.

I would check and see if Nitrox is included on Agressor - the trip I was on last year, it was extra. We didn't end up paying for it, bc the Captain gave it to us for free as compensation for the fact that the air conditioning on the boat kept going out and we had two REALLY hot nights (where most people slept in the salon or outside).

Where is the thread about the aggressor/dancer company? We have done several livaboard vacations over the years including 3 aggressor trips, one dancer trip (when it was Peter Hughes) and one Carribbean Explorer trip. They were all great experiences but the Aggressors were our favorites, and the Cayman Aggressor was a wonderful trip. If you want to "eat, sleep, and dive, dive, dive" then a livaboard is a great option.

Where is the thread about the aggressor/dancer company? We have done several livaboard vacations over the years including 3 aggressor trips, one dancer trip (when it was Peter Hughes) and one Carribbean Explorer trip. They were all great experiences but the Aggressors were our favorites, and the Cayman Aggressor was a wonderful trip. If you want to "eat, sleep, and dive, dive, dive" then a livaboard is a great option.

Here it is. Really a sad commentary on the management of the company.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...dancer-fleets-new-carib-dancer-lots-pics.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom