Cayman Airways - anyone flown with them recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We haven't been back to Grand Cayman since Ivan in 2004, and we miss diving the east end. We used to fly Continental, but they are down to a Saturday flight only for GCM, so I was looking at Cayman Airways. If anyone's flown with them can you tell me how reliable they are, how squishy the coach section it, etc?

Well, Cayman Airways are flying 4 flights a day to and from Miami and they are almost always full. Their business is expanding; they are in the process of buying another jet. They also fly to other destinations like New York & Chicago.

Pros: perfect safety history (never had an accident); friendly service
Cons: no cheap seats; can often be late (like most other airlines)

Sorry - I'm not sure what you mean by "squishy".

Well, Cayman Airways are flying 4 flights a day to and from Miami and they are almost always full. Their business is expanding; they are in the process of buying another jet. They also fly to other destinations like New York & Chicago.

Pros: perfect safety history (never had an accident); friendly service
Cons: no cheap seats; can often be late (like most other airlines)

Sorry - I'm not sure what you mean by "squishy".
How does their coach section compare to the major US carriers in terms of personal space? I'm considering using them from NYC to GCM, don't normally fly coach (HATE being crammed in like a sardine and having the person in from of me leaned back in my lap the whole flight...), but for the extra 5lbs of luggage allowance and the schedule, it's a short flight (around 4hrs), so I'd do it.

I like Cayman Airways,but what happened to the Houston flight ?
Here's the flight schedules through November Flight Schedules No Houston flights.

If it's CO flights you were questions, looks like they only go on Saturdays, same as their Newark non-stop...

Time to start dive trip planning with, "Can I get there from here?" I'm finding that what used to be our "quick and easy" destinations are now either only offered weekly or take way more travel time then I can justify for a week. Love 10 day trips, but hard to do when there's only weekly flights... :shakehead:

In November '06 we flew Cayman Airways from MIA to GCM, and I remember thinking how much better and more civilized the experience was compared to American Airlines. Last month we took the same flight and it was chaos. Most passengers were Cuban or Cuban-Americans heading to Havana on Cayman Airways with a stop at GCM. The check-in lines at MIA were horrible as there were many family groups and everybody had serious excess baggage, no doubt bringing clothing and consumer goods to friends and relatives in Cuba. Competition was fierce for space in the overhead bins. On the flight back ten days later (a Wednesday) it was much more laid back (although the departure lounge at GCM still leaves much to be desired).

I think "perfect safety history" means no fatalities. What are the circumstances of the accident to which you refer ? I can't find anything..........

In about 1990, a CAL plane coming from Miami landed here, didnt stop & went off the end of the runway into the North Sound - only a few feet deep so no fatalities or injuries though the captain lost his job.

In about 1990, a CAL plane coming from Miami landed here, didnt stop & went off the end of the runway into the North Sound - only a few feet deep so no fatalities or injuries though the captain lost his job.

Well, thanks for your speedy reply Nipi. I guess now that you've elaborated on your previous post, this little company and their employees needn't worry quite so much about any damage unfairly caused to their hard-earned safety reputation as a result of the odd inconsiderate throw-away comment that anyone might feel like posting. :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom