Cayman Brac Beach Resort Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tendi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be at the CBBR in a few weeks with a group of 9. We get 3 drinks included with our package but I can find any info on what those drinks include? We'll also have a long layover in Grand Cayman. Anything we should buy in GC and bring CB? Any other tips? Getting excited to get some underwater time!

I'll be at the CBBR in a few weeks with a group of 9. We get 3 drinks included with our package but I can find any info on what those drinks include? We'll also have a long layover in Grand Cayman. Anything we should buy in GC and bring CB? Any other tips? Getting excited to get some underwater time!
There will be a list of available drinks (mixed drinks are in small cups). I highly recommend trying the local beer (Cay Brew). There is a "Package store" a few miles down the road from the resort. We bought a couple of six pack of beers and kept them in the room fridge. You can rent a bicycle for an easy ride to the store.

There will be a list of available drinks (mixed drinks are in small cups). I highly recommend trying the local beer (Cay Brew). There is a "Package store" a few miles down the road from the resort. We bought a couple of six pack of beers and kept them in the room fridge. You can rent a bicycle for an easy ride to the store.
I went for the Ironshore Bock. The bikes from CBBR are included (free) and are a nice way to see a little bit of the island.

We've never tried the drinks package at CBBR but there will be a list as others have said. We each usually buy a bottle of duty free liquor at the airport before we leave the US because alcoholic beverages are expensive in the Caymans - but since you have the drinks package at the resort this may not be of interest to you - unless there is a special brand that you like?

Bringing in duty-free alcohol is not a problem when Grand Cayman is your final destination, but since you are continuing on to one of the Cayman Sister Islands, you will have to go through security again at the GCM airport and they will NOT let you take large bottles of liquids through security.

Security will confiscate your bottle, even if it is sealed and labeled duty-free, so you have to put it inside your checked luggage before rechecking bags for the flight to Brac. We try to cushion the bottle well, but it's a short flight and so far we haven't had any accidents.

When you get to the resort, there is an ice machine for guests to use behind the bar, and you can buy mixers like Coke from the gift shop or the dive shop - don't buy them from the beach bar, I think that they will add a service charge, but I'm not certain about that.

You can also borrow a free bicycle from the resort and pedal over to small grocery and liquor stores (you will see them on the way from the airport) after you arrive on Brac if you wish - but be aware that most stores are closed on Sunday.

How long is your layover? When we have a long layover at GCM we like to take advantage of the free shuttle to the George Town Yacht Club, see the link below. The yacht club is only about 3 minutes away from the airport and it offers good food and beverages in a beautiful setting, we especially like their Cracked Conch Appetizer with their special tartar sauce, see the link below.

Home

What day and time are you traveling through GCM? I know that they run the free shuttle all day, starting early in the mornings, on Saturday and Sunday - but I am not sure about weekdays, but you could contact them and ask. Look for a gray van parked outside the ticket terminal; it's usually parked at the far end near the door by the Cayman Air ticket counter. Tell the driver what time you want to get back to the airport and she will be waiting for you. If you have some bags with you, the GTYC will stash them while you eat. You can eat indoors or outside at GTYC.

If you are traveling mid-day on the weekend, don't cut the timing too tight, because that airport gets very crowded, especially during the high season and currently while the facility is under construction.

We like to rent a car for one day and tour the island of Cayman Brac, usually the last dive day since we can't dive in the afternoon due to the "wait to fly" rule. You will have to buy a temporary driver's permit for $20 CI unless you have an international license, but the car rental agency will sell it to you. Be aware that they drive on the left side of the road - but there's not much traffic on Brac.

There's a small museum that is worth visiting, some nice bars and restaurants, there are nature preserves and caves and the topography of the island is very interesting. There is also shore diving available on Brac but we haven't tried it yet. Here's a few links that you may find interesting, have a great trip!

Cayman Brac videos:

https://vimeo.com/165357805

https://youtu.be/NTcZso-Zg80

Cayman Brac:

http://www.xray-mag.com/pdfs/articles/Travel_CaymanBrac_LawsonWood_60_locked.pdf

http://caribjournal.com/2015/09/15/journey-to-cayman-brac/

Last edited:
I went for the Ironshore Bock. The bikes from CBBR are included (free) and are a nice way to see a little bit of the island.
I was thinking there was a minimal charge for the bikes but I could easily be mistaken. Also, if you take a short walk from the resort to the East end of the island there is boardwalk out into the pond and a cool beach at the very end of the road.

You need to be aware that all of the Clearly Cayman resorts changed/limited their liquor/wine/beer selections late last year.

For example, they no longer serve the second and third most popular beers sold in the USA, Coors Light and Miller Lite.

I was thinking there was a minimal charge for the bikes but I could easily be mistaken. Also, if you take a short walk from the resort to the East end of the island there is boardwalk out into the pond and a cool beach at the very end of the road.

There is a small charge to use the bicycles at the Little Cayman Beach Resort but we have never been charged for bikes at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort, unless that has changed recently.

How was your trip to the Brac?

How was your trip to the Brac?

I am also interested, we just booked a return trip to GC and CB in the fall and I'd like to hear how things are going - including an update on the airport and flights, and the diving of course, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom