Cayman Brac vs Little Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landshark94

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My friends and I are planning a trip to either Cayman Brac or Little Cayman. We are planning the trip for the 1st week of December. We have at least 4 people going but maybe up to 10. We are looking at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort or the Little Cayman Beach Resort. We are wondering which island has better diving, which resort people recommend whether its one of the above or different resorts? Also, is there a dive center you recommend to go with or stay away from.

I'm sure this has been asked before but would like some opinions from people who have been to there recently.

Thanks for any and all posts!

I have been to both Cayman Brac and Little Cayman several times over the past few years. We had a group of 22 go to Cayman Brac last year and have 16 going to Little Cayman this year. Both offer some great diving but if I had to pick one, it would be Little Cayman and stay at the Little Cayman Beach Resort like you mentioned. The food there is about as good as it gets, the rooms are very nice with plenty of hot water, and I think the diving there is some of the best, if not the best in the entire Caribbean. The dive operation there is called Reef Divers and they do an exceptional job!

You do need to be aware that if you go to Little Cayman, you can only get there by flying into Grand Cayman first and then taking a 18/19 seat twin prop plane to Little Cayman. Since there is a limited numbers of seats on those flights, you don't want to wait too long to book that part of the trip.

I just dove Cayman Brac this year in Jan... Stayed at CBBR. Great resort and good diving but we took a 2 tank dive on Little Cayman and I thought the diving was better, albeit we only dove on 2 sites. But that was the general consensus from all of us. Also was told by others who live there and dive both islands regularly that Little Cayman is the better of 2 islands for diving. If I were to go back and had a choice, I'd be diving Little Cayman.

Little Cayman but stay at the Southern Cross Club if you like smaller quaint accomodations and uncrowded boats.

We have been to both resorts (LCBR and BRBR) in the past few years. While I would also pick Little Cayman as my first choice (great diving, great food), don't sell Cayman Brac short. It does have a few advantages over Little Cayman to consider. While Bloody Bay wall on Little Cayman has fantastic diving, it does get a little repetitive. I thought Cayman Brac had a little more variety of dive sites (a nice wreck, walls, shallow reefs, etc.). On Little Cayman we always dove the north side, while on Cayman Brac we dove all over. Both resorts use Reef Divers so the same good dive service at both places. And since Reef Divers is the only dive operation on Cayman Brac, there are fewer boats on the reef. Also if you are interested in getting away from the resort, there is more to see on Cayman Brac. We also liked the non-stop service on a Cayman Airways Boeing 737 from Miami into Cayman Brac avoiding Grand Cayman (at least going). You do have to return thru GC but still on a big jet. And you get complimentary rum punch when they go around with the drink cart! Bottom line both islands are great. By the way, to the original poster, the resort on Cayman Brac is call Brac Reef Beach Resort, not Cayman Brac Beach resort.

I have been to both as well and would pick Little Cayman, but with one caveat. The big feature on LC is the Bloody Bay Wall on the north side of the island and in my opinion (and many others) it is the best diving in the Caribbean. At that time of year, if a cold front comes through, a North wind can blow out diving on the north side of the islands. In that situation, I think Brac has more variety in south side diving than LC does. Either way it is fantastic diving, but on the off chance the north side is blown out (more common in winter months), Brac might be slightly better.

As for the resorts and dive operations, as others have said, both resorts are served by Reef Divers and they are the best dive operation I have ever dove with. They will absolutely spoil you with their "valet diving" style and you won't want to do it any other way after that. Brac Reef and LCBR are sister resorts owned by the same people, and both have outstanding food and are clean and well kept. As others have said, there is slightly more to do on the Brac topside, but both places are really built more for an eat, sleep, dive, relax vacation. You can't go wrong with either place.

First off....Thank you all for the responses. Sorry if I offended anyone by referring to BRBR by the wrong name.

Since I have been to Grand Cayman a number of times and dove the East end (North and South areas) now I am concerned that Little Cayman may be un-divable or more challeging than not. So I would like input about diving in Little Cayman in December. Is there diving all around the island? Since we are going in December, would Cayman Brac be, let's say more comfortable dives, since you can dive all sides of the island?

Also, since I have many dives all over Grand Cayman Island, how do the other 2 islands compare.

Again, thanks for all the information, it is very helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom