Little Cayman in September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveLaz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Everyone

I am looking into a trip with my son to Little Cayman mid-September. Just a little concerned about weather at that time since I've heard that is Hurricane season. We are looking at Little Cayman Beach Resort. Any advice on going at that time would be appreciated, or if anyone else has gone at that time? Thanks!

Oh by the way, we are also thinking of Roatan at that same time... But Little Cayman is top on the list....

I have been there many times in August, September, and October. Unless there is a hurricane nearby, the weather is typically dead flat calm and the diving is excellent. We have been going to the Cayman sister Islands in the fall since 1995 and in the course of about 15 trips, we have had to postpone 2 because of hurricanes impacting the Caymans and 1 because our flights going through Ft. Lauderdale were cancelled by a hurricane hitting Florida. We also lost 1 day of diving and one afternoon dive due to a storm passing several hundred miles south of the Caymans stirring up high seas. In all of the instances, the airlines worked with us to make flight changes at no cost and the resort rescheduled us for an available window at no cost as well.

As far as the likelihood that a storm will hit in September, the traditional peak of Caribbean storm activity is September 15th. However, I looked back through the NHC track records for hurricanes and tropical storms a few years ago, and over a 25-30 year period, the Caymans were much more likely to be in or near the path of a storm in October or November than in August or September. Of course there are exceptions to that (Ivan in 2004 for one), but based purely on numbers October and November were the months I saw as more likely to have a storm interfere with a vacation.

I wouldn't hesitate to plan another trip in September and in fact I am currently considering booking a trip this August or September as soon as my wife is able to clear some dates on her calendar. The conditions are usually very good and LCBR is usually the only resort on the island that is open during September, so you will have the dive sites and the island roads pretty much to yourself.

the resort is FANTASTIC. As for hurricanes...i live on the east coast of Florida. Just be sure to get travel insurance. September is actually the statistical height of hurricane season (September 10th). So, you never know. I'm heading (back) to Cayman Brac (my favorite place) in December with a group (and a pretty sweet deal).

As far as LC vs Roatan: LC wins hands down. Much better diving. LCBR is also an incredible dive resort.

I second the advice to definitely get trip insurance. There is always the possibility of a hurricane that time of year.

Wow, thanks everyone for the detailed replies...

Yes, I've also heard great things about LCBR and to be honest that is most likely where we are going over Roatan. I've been to Roatan about 5 years ago and it was great but I know it's not as great as LC. I been diving in GC last year and it was awesome, but I've never been to LC, and I've even heard LC is so much better than GC.

Also, for those of you who have been to LCBR can you give me some comparison as to the pool view room vs the ocean front rooms? I know the price comparison, about 500 each, but is it that much better? If my wife was going I would not be asking, Ocean Front for sure! 😂Thanks!

Wow, thanks everyone for the detailed replies...

Yes, I've also heard great things about LCBR and to be honest that is most likely where we are going over Roatan. I've been to Roatan about 5 years ago and it was great but I know it's not as great as LC. I been diving in GC last year and it was awesome, but I've never been to LC, and I've even heard LC is so much better than GC.

Also, for those of you who have been to LCBR can you give me some comparison as to the pool view room vs the ocean front rooms? I know the price comparison, about 500 each, but is it that much better? If my wife was going I would not be asking, Ocean Front for sure! 😂Thanks!
There is not a huge difference in what you get between the two rooms. The pool view rooms are setup like a typical hotel room with 1 or 2 beds and a small table with a chair or two, with just a door and a window facing the pool. The ocean view rooms have more space between the beds and the balcony/patio. They have a little more room to spread out without being on the bed, which is great if you have a larger video or camera rig to work on. They have a sliding glass door to a balcony or patio facing the beach in addition to the main door facing back towards the resort. The main difference is in the amount of noise you will get from the bar area next to the pool. If you are the type that is likely to hang out at the bar, the noise won't bother you at all because except for Karaoke night on friday, the bar noise quiets down around 10-1030. If you are the type that wants to be asleep by 9 and needs it quiet, the bar noise might bug you. When the price was closer to $250-300 difference, I thought it was worth it for the oceanview. Now that it is around $500pp difference I personally wouldn't pay for the oceanview.

Ok, Thanks. We booked the pool room and requested 2nd floor. Now have to look for airfare:cool:

Ok, Thanks. We booked the pool room and requested 2nd floor. Now have to look for airfare:cool:
Great! You will love it. Get your flights from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman booked as soon as you know your arriving flight into the GC. The afternoon flights from GC to LC book up very quickly and there are usually only 2-3 Saturday afternoon flights that are accessible based on the times most flights from the US arrive in GC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom