Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VaTech Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A group of my dive buddies and I are planning a dive trip to Cayman Brac this November and I was wondering if anyone on SB had any suggestions on preferred resorts and/or dive outfits.

I have been to Grand Cayman twice but never ventured to Little Cayman or Cayman Brac. Is there enough diving location at Cayman Brac to keep a diver busy for 8 days? Is there any nightlife? Are dive sites shore accessible?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

-Lenny

We went to Cayman Brac last May and had one of the very best dive vacations I ever had. We stayed at the Brac Reef Beach Resort and loved it. The resorts was nice, the food awesome, and the diving varied. I thought far better than the diving from Grand Cayman. So I would highly recommend them. We had such a good time we were going to return last November.

However, the resort was badly damaged by the hurricane last November as well as much of the island and the resort is not scheduled to reopen until late 2009. But that may work OK if you are going in November and everything will be new. Even better than before they are saying. You can contact them for an update.

Can't say much about the nightlife because I'm not a big nightlife person but it won't be anything like Grand Cayman I'm sure. If that is a big factor, you'd better stick with GC.

As far as shore diving, there really wasn't any from the resort itself but a lot of the sites were around the point on the calm side and I feel pretty sure you could do them if you had a car to get your gear to that location. A little surface swim would be required but not much.

There is really only one answer to your question. Brac Reef Beach Resort is the perfect get away dive destination. They are currently doing a major renovation of the resort facilities. However, the real draw to BRBR is the people and the diving.

You will not regret a dive trip to The Brac.

I'll back up that with another vote for BRBR.

I led a group there and a tropical storm (downgraded from hurricane) hit the next morning. They have good boats, good crew, and good staff. We only missed one dive and that was the night dive. I can understand not wanting to go through the channel with that kind of surf at night.

That said, the whole group in a tropical storm and not a single complaint from anyone. With the Brac it is easy to go to one side or the other to find calm water. We always had a quiet clear dive.

Side note. A couple of times we got in late, just before the restaurant closed. They brought out ALL new food for their buffet. No scraping up leftovers. I noticed that in particular. Most resorts aren't anywhere that willing to please.

If they've recovered from the last hurricane and are open for you I am sure you'll be pleasantly surprised with the quality of their operations.

I appreciate the feedback. I will take this into consideration. My only concern is the damage that may have been done to the reef and coral from last year's storm. I will make some phone calls into BRBR to get some additional information. Thanks again.

We were at Brac several months before the hurricane.......it ranks among my favorites. Great food, terrific boats, and excellent DMs. And we never saw another dive boat while we were there. Too many islands, too little time...but it will be one we'll repeat.

I totally agree with the above post, Cayman Brac is a GREAT dive place, plenty of different sites for a month of diving plus you usually get over to Little Cayman at least once in a week to dive those wonderful walls.... Brac Reef Beach Resort would be my first choice, having stayed there numerous times and there is also another dive operation that is getting good reviews, Indepth Watersports, Indepth Watersports - Adventure diving - Cayman Brac, Cayman Islands. You can not go wrong at either Brac or little Cayman....if it is diving you want, along with great food, wonderful people who will become your close friends... but if you have to have entertainment and night life then go back to Grand Cayman, cause the small islands don't have much....

Love the Brac. With the Brac you also get the opportunity to dive Bloody Bay Wall on Little Cayman. The Brac is NOTHING like Grand Cayman. Very limited shopping and night life. Very safe place to visit though. I have never locked the car doors and the locals are very friendly. The vis is usually 80'+ and the temp. 80-82. The DMs are very helpful, heck they hardly let you touch your equipment while on the boat. We actually bought a place on the Brac last year. 4 bed, 4.5 bath on the beach on the south side. We have it rented out long term now, but that should end sometime late in the year and we will open it up to short term rentals again.

Hurricane Paloma did a fair amount of damage in early November. I was on island two weeks after to assist with the clean up and the island was battered. The Brac Reef Hotel is moving along at a much slower pace than initially anticipated, though their bar is open. Island time, I guess. I did not dive as no boats were functional and besides, I was there to help not dive, so I cannot speak about any reef damage. I am going Brac late May and plan to dive then. I can get you report when I return.

If you like a laid back locale with no traffic, no traffic lights, no hassle and friendly locals the Brac is the place.

We've been to Brac Reef 3 times and it is wonderful. The food and dive operation is superb. Once you put your gear outside your room the first night, you will not have to touch it for the week. Other than hanging out at the bar in the evening, there is no night life whatsoever on the island.

However, Paloma caused a lot of damage to the resort. They are planning to reopen in May, with upgraded rooms and a "fancy" restaurant. It most likely caused sever damage to the reefs and I would wait to hear from someone that has actually dived the sites since Paloma before I would book the trip.

We visited Cozumel right after Wilma, and last month visited Bonaire a few months after Omar. Both dive sites were much less alive after the hurricanes. I would wait for first hand reviews.

I agree the BRR is a great place. If you want more to do than dive I wouldnt go to either island. Nothing much to do there but dive. It is definately a divers island.
It is not an easy place to get to is the problem I have with it for me.
I like lots of places and places with shore diving as well and liveaboards are just the greatest!!!!!!! If you have not done a liveaboard and you basically want to just dive, dive, eat, eat, sleep.....then that is the way to go!!!
That is my favorite vacation!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom