CAYMAN BRAC??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there a long time ago (July 2005) so it's probably not the same any more compare to what you would experience today. It's my 1st trip after I got my OW. So, everything looked wonderful. A few things I remember:
1. Dove down to 126' depth in Son of Rock Monster, 100+ vis, no current.
2. A night dive passing a 15' depth with no light to avoid sea wasps biting on the neck
3. Evacuated a day early to Miami from Hurricane Dennis.

I like about not getting bit by sand flies like in Utila. To me Bonaire is better than Cayman Brac. I may go to Grand Cayman someday.

I have stayed at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort 5 Times and also dived the island off of the Cayman Aggressor and it is one of our favorite dive destinations. If fact, we were there just in November and the remodeled resort and pool are really lovely. Below is the link to one of my previous posts about the island and the diving.

It depends on what you want, it's a nice quiet place to relax and enjoy great diving with fantastic food and pleasant accommodations. It is not a place with a lot of topside restaurants, shopping, and attractions.

We like the small, diver-dedicated, all-inclusive CBBR and we love the easy and professional Reef Divers operation, but @vincent54 prefers to rent a place and dive with Brac Scuba Shack and do a lot of shore diving - so he can tell you about that.

Either way, Brac is a great place to visit and dive IMO, have fun!

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/7585249/

Last edited:
Agree with KathyV. Diverse underwater topography. Not tons of fish, but nowhere in the Caribbean has tons. Was there in 2015 and CBBR was just fine for us. The upgrades do look even nicer. We enjoyed both the resort and the diving. Haven't actually thought about how I'd rank Caribbean destinations because we travel with our LDS and just go with the flow. If it was just me and spouse, Brac might not be #1, but nearer to the top than to the bottom.
Rob

Appreciate it you guys.. yeah Kathy I agree... when I want a dive vacation I want to dive! Whats with all these places only offering 2 a day????? At least at brac they offer 17. I have to look for places like this because I dont have sea legs and dont think I can handle liveaboard....

...Whats with all these places only offering 2 a day????? At least at brac they offer 17...

Little Cayman Beach Resort is very similar to CBBR and offers 17 dives - they are owned by the same family and have the same valet dive operation (Reef Divers). The diving is even better on Little Cayman on Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson's Bight but it is a little more expensive and harder to get reservations. Both are all-inclusive and the food is really good. We love both resorts and CBBR is really nice and has great diving.

You can usually get a couple of night dives at both places for an extra fee if enough divers sign up. The 2 islands are close and if a group of divers are interested, for an extra fuel fee ($25 or $30). Reef Divers will take a boat over to Little Cayman to do 2 dives BBW and vice versa; they will also take a group of Little Cayman divers over to Brac to dive the Russian Frigate wreck.

On Grand Cayman you can arrange to do 4 dives per day at Compass Point with Ocean Frontiers at extra cost. There are a few resorts on Grand Cayman that offer 2 boat dives per day and unlimited shore dives on the house reef at no extra charge: Sunset House (Sunset Divers), Cobalt Coast (Reef Divers), and Lighthouse Point (DiveTech). I have never stayed at any of these but you can find more info here on SB.

Thanks Kathy .. I see airport transfer is included at little cayman. Is that a water taxi from Brac or do they have an airstrip now?

Thanks Kathy .. I see airport transfer is included at little cayman. Is that a water taxi from Brac or do they have an airstrip now?

You can fly from Grand Cayman to both Brac and Little Cayman. The airport on Brac is larger and takes jets, and turboprops, as well as smaller aircraft. The airfield on Little is small and only accepts small planes, primarily the Twin Otters operated by Cayman Air.

You can take Otter flights to LC directly from GC, or you can fly to CB and connect to LC. Either way the flights are short (about a half hour to get from GC to one of the sister islands). There is no water ferry between CB and LC.

Yeah I just figured that out.... When I looked a the Island on Google earth I didn't see an airport on Little Cayman because it looked like a road. LOL Thanks

We went to Cayman Brac Beach Resort (?) several years ago, and really enjoyed it. Dive op was Reef Divers - still got the hat. We got a good deal on a rental car and spent a couple afternoons shore diving from a site that I think was an old hotel, because the iron shore was cut back to form a pool. Anyway, we were able to reach the Russian shipwreck from there, although not for long, but that wasn't really the point. diving out from the shore allows you to take your time, and catch some shallower water creatures.

My only complaint was one of the divemasters was really restrictive on our dive time off the boat, and just all-around uptight. She was rude to my wife several times too. It kinda get's old having to tiptoe around somebody on your vacation... But, I wouldn't let that keep me from going back, people come and go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom