Cayman closed until at least September 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will you be able to shore dive?

when the Premier was asked during his briefing if open beaches included diving, without hesitation he replied “Nope!”

He did say if the next two weeks of slightly less restrictive regulations goes well we might get diving back. Meanwhile I’m thinking about taking my pony tank along when I go swimming, “just for safety.”:wink:

Thank you mi000ke. I didn’t want to beleaguer the point especially when sometimes people only see or hear the bits that suit them anyway about the plan. I lived in NY for most of my adult life. My son is still there. His business has been shut down for months now and he is paying 53 people. He may never recover and may lose everything including his house. Much as I worry about him, I learned of death of a wonderful gentleman, his wife and his daughter within days of each other less than two weeks ago in our county in NY. The financial loss pales in comparison to what that family has lost. Most of the worlds population has been making incredible sacrifices—some are just not tragic. I am glad we have a stringent plan and are sticking to it.
On the diving front It is a little harder to maintain social distancing and wear the required PPE! Also an issue if someone needs medical attention as that can often lead to a ride in the chamber unlike other activities. Soon come bobo!

just for the sake of providing accurate context, regardless of our own personal views as to heath vs economics, the CI government has developed a detailed planning document laying out 4 levels or phases to economic recovery. They have been extremely thoughtful, especially compared to my home country, which is why we are in no hurry to leave.

Additionally, the Premier has been very explicit to state (and passionately restated in his briefing yesterday ) that the government’s priority is health and life of the CI population. Not saying you have to agree, but the goals and plans are very explicit. Let’s hope they work, and that the Cayman Islands come back as strong as they were.

Meanwhile the GC beaches open on Saturday! Small positive steps.

Stay safe
Thanks - I have not seen nor heard of any reference the 4 phase plan document previously. Is it public as I'd be curious as to what they have planned? In any event, enjoy getting out to the beach again - seems enough quarantine time has passed with no new entries from the outside that diving for locals should be able to resume as well?

Shore diving will likely be an option but boat diving may have to wait. If we have to do social distancing on the boat, the trips might not cover costs and truthfully money is tight. The main thing here that the locals are desperate for is to get fishing again at least as far as those locals that have PR or are Caymanian. The costs associated with those trips are much less to boot.

Hi @mi000ke and @caydiver

I would think that shore diving would be pretty easy to control to an acceptable level, especially with the relatively small number of divers currently present. Oh well, hopefully soon.

Boat diving is a bit more complicated. Florida has just recently reopened for boat diving, beaches are still closed. Some operators appear to be doing a very good job with limited loads, appropriate distancing, face covers at all time not diving, personal drinks and snacks, provision for hand hygiene... Some operators not doing as well.

Totally agree about shore diving! Boat diving here is going to be hard to make profitable. Many local divers are in the service industry and are gone or broke. Many do shore diving anyway. We don’t make enough money from locals to pay overhead. Can pay someone even a basic wage to work two mornings a week when there are enough bodies on the boat, and cannot afford to run the boat unless there are enough bodies. We don’t make money during slow season even giving incentives to locals. Sadly a different business model to Florida and easy access to many dive sites from shore.

Totally agree about shore diving! Boat diving here is going to be hard to make profitable. Many local divers are in the service industry and are gone or broke. Many do shore diving anyway. We don’t make enough money from locals to pay overhead. Can pay someone even a basic wage to work two mornings a week when there are enough bodies on the boat, and cannot afford to run the boat unless there are enough bodies. We don’t make money during slow season even giving incentives to locals. Sadly a different business model to Florida and easy access to many dive sites from shore.
Hi @caydiver

I am very familiar with SE FL. I do have 10 trips and just under 200 dives on Grand Cayman. The minimum number of divers to break even or make a profit is a very interesting concept. I realize it is much lower in SE FL than it is on Grand Cayman but do not appreciate all the differences in costs.

In SE FL, the boats are limited to 10 on the dive deck. If the captain is on a flybridge, that limits the dive deck to 8 or 9 divers with a mate and/or a guide. In addition, to maintain social distancing, the boat can really only go at half load to leave an empty dive position between divers. Only a boat that carries near 20 divers can take the full complement of divers and crew. Smaller boats can take a smaller number of divers. I don't know how this would work out on Grand Cayman. In SE FL. only one of the 5 or 6 operators I use has raised their trip prices. From what I gather, a charter price increase is much more common than my own sample.

I send you my very best wishes for a timely opening and hope that many of the operators on Grand Cayman are able to weather the storm and continue in business.

Take care, stay healthy, good diving,

Craig

Thank you. Keeping our fingers crossed. One big difference here is the work permit issue. There are very few Caymanians actually working as DMs, so most are work permit holders. To get the permit they have to be guaranteed so many hours, and pension and health. The Work permits themselves are not cheap. Even on a boat with only 2 divers we need a guide and surface watch. It is very different than operating in a place like the US where you can even tap part timers or someone qualified who wants to wants to work for a few hours here and there or even trade some time for working for the op. It’s not an option here. We would love to have more Caymanians on board for a whole host of reasons! The WP requirements is one reason why so many who work in tourist related industries on WPs are being encouraged to leave. If their employer cannot afford to pay everything until the tourists return, not only will they be stuck, but it might also mean the op having to close its doors. Sadly even if we open the doors in September, we are looking at sleepy time in The Caribbean.

Thank you. Keeping our fingers crossed. One big difference here is the work permit issue. There are very few Caymanians actually working as DMs, so most are work permit holders. To get the permit they have to be guaranteed so many hours, and pension and health. The Work permits themselves are not cheap. Even on a boat with only 2 divers we need a guide and surface watch. It is very different than operating in a place like the US where you can even tap part timers or someone qualified who wants to wants to work for a few hours here and there or even trade some time for working for the op. It’s not an option here. We would love to have more Caymanians on board for a whole host of reasons! The WP requirements is one reason why so many who work in tourist related industries on WPs are being encouraged to leave. If their employer cannot afford to pay everything until the tourists return, not only will they be stuck, but it might also mean the op having to close its doors. Sadly even if we open the doors in September, we are looking at sleepy time in The Caribbean.
Wow, no wonder DMs, instructors, etc. would like to go to Grand Cayman or similar, the pay and benefits are in a completely different league than in the US. I believe most US DMs/guides, mainly work for tips. Obviously, instructors are a bit different. I don't know who might get "benefits"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom